The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Family Law Act: too little, too late > Comments

Family Law Act: too little, too late : Comments

By Patricia Merkin, published 7/12/2010

It is likely that child protective amendments to the Family Law Act will be significantly watered down for political motives.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22
  13. ...
  14. 40
  15. 41
  16. 42
  17. All
Chaz you are probably right about Jackson's ex-brother in law but in the context of the broader discussions it's all pretty close to the sorts of behaviors that Antiseptic, benk, myself and others have been trying to highlight as part of the problem where accusations are allowed to have weight regardless of substantiation.

How much fun do you think it is for a male accused of DV by someone with those trait's given the way perceptions about gender are entrenched?

It's easy to see what a nightmare it is for Jackson's sister, nephew and others close to them. Do you find it so difficult to comprehend that some of the time the person with those behaviors will be female rather than the male? Why the total lack of empathy for males who might be on the receiving end of those behaviors or the silence/rejection when it comes to safeguards against cunning manipulation?

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Monday, 20 December 2010 7:22:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jacksun:"Prizzy - one woman whose ideas were laughed at and scorned by women in the refuge movement "

She STARTED the refuge movement, you silly sausage. It was coopted by Feminist women, including lots of lesbian women as a political vehicle. Pizzey fell out with these women because they wanted to tell lies about what she was seeing with her own eyes.

It seems some women still like liars over honest brokers. You mentioned Barry Goldstein, well big Baz is in just a tiny spot of trouble with the New York Judiciary, it seems.

In fact, he was disbarred and banned from practise for 5 years for misconduct including telling lies to the Court

"The New York Appellate Division for the Second Judicial Department imposed a staggering five-year suspension of Goldstein in large part for his conduct in the Shockome case. The Court called numerous statements Goldstein made concerning the Shockome case “dishonest, false, or misleading.” The Court also criticized Goldstein for misuse of funds in another case he handled.

Regarding the Shockome case, the Court criticized what it called the “pervasive nature of [Goldstein's] deceptive conduct”–conduct which it said included “false accusations” about the case and “noncompliance with multiple court orders.” The Court wrote:

On behalf of his client [Genia Shockome], he prepared and filed with this Court a petition for writ of habeas corpus and a petition in a proceeding pursuant to CPLR article 78. These materials contained sworn statements which were dishonest, false, or misleading."

Oh dear, poor Barry. So much for credibility, eh?

You mentioned Mo Hannah; well Mo is nothing but an advocate, I'm afraid, being a long-term member of NOW and being involved in several groups advocating for single mothers. What she writes is opinion, not fact and is based on her political motivation to achieve a biased Family Court system.

As for Lundy Bancroft, this quote sums him up:"the abusive parent tends to be the father while the protective parent is usually the mother, because most perpetrators of domestic violence and of child sexual abuse are male."

Oh dear...muddled at best.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 20 December 2010 7:36:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To continue from above, the genuine statistics show that mothers commit much more abuse and neglect than fathers do. In fact, the only category of child abuse in which fathers feature more is sexual abuse and that is a very tiny proportion indeed, despite the hysteria whipped up by the victimologists. The reality is that the "protective mother" is very often the "woman scorned" and she is not a nice person. Just ask Shakespeare.

I'm sure there are cases like the "nephew" you claim, buit they are a very, very tiny minority and they are assiduously looked for by the courts. Your reference to Goldstein and Hannah suggests you are involved in the Mother's Rights movement or academic Feminism to some extent, since these are not household names outside organised Feminist circles. What is your interest?

I am still very skeprtical of your claim that the court was uninterested in a case in which there is a clear physical trail. What did your "sister" say had happened to her when she attended hospital if it wasn't due to an act of violence? It must have been a hell of a story if the court continued to believe it after she changed her mind.

My experience in the courts, both the Family Court and Magistrate's Court. as well as with the Police DVLOs is that they don't behave the way you claim. A mere accusation of shouting was enough for me to prevented from seeing my kids for months.

I will add my voice to the others offering sympathy for your "sister's" situation if you can convince me it's not a fabrication. You've given yourself a handicap with the reference to Goldstein and the other advocacy stuff along with the rejection of the impartial stuff from MJA and so on, it should be pointed out.

I reckon it's beyond you to prove the truth of a falsehood.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 20 December 2010 7:52:44 AM
Anti:”To continue from above, the genuine statistics show that mothers commit much more abuse and neglect than fathers do.”

Genuine statistics is a weird phrase. From what James said about stats and the link given they are all complete rubbish anyway.

With the women having the greater numbers of children in their custody we can just assume that the only reason men aren’t equally represented in child abuse stats is because the opportunity to abuse children isn’t presented to them as often in our society.

So if we decide we’re all equal and want court to treat the genders equally we have to also say we are all equally capable of abusing children as not.

Or are you saying we aren’t equal and because of the stats you have looked at you have decided that if fathers got equal or more custody then less children will be abused in future?

How come men are working mines, why aren’t more running day care facilities and becoming caseworkers, why are the services for children completely dominated by females? It looks to me like they aren’t that interested in children.
Posted by Jewely, Monday, 20 December 2010 9:12:07 AM
Antiseptic-
I am not mis-guided; I am analytical- I’m also experienced. I have experienced first-hand the way my own father broke my mother’s front teeth in front of me, his 4 year-old daughter at the time, and then proceeded to trumpet to everyone who would listen far and wide, at how she was “violent” when she had enough of being bashed by him one day and defended herself with her shoe to stop his next bashing. She was tiny next to him and was sick of his abuse. My siblings and I were sick of his abuse.

He then proceeded to make all the noises I hear now from father’s rights advocates.

He said that he was a victim of the FC because they didn’t give him what he wanted- custody of my very young 4 year old brother and ongoing contact with him.

He said my brother needed a father role-model with no thought to his actual violent modelling before my mother fled.

He said my mother “poisoned” us against him when we didn’t want to see him anymore- but didn’t put 2 and 2 together that HIS own behaviour before and after separation was the cause of our reluctance to see him. My mother still sent us to for contact but we (my other siblings) found him just as abusive without my mother there!

He said my mother made up all the accounts of violence- but I witnessed it on more occasions than I care to remember.

He said he was a “good father” but his abuse outweighed the good times.

He said fathers were victimised in the FC, but he provided the material that eventually led to a no contact order.

In other words, he “whipped up emotional frenzies” about his own version of what happened.

He is the poster boy for father’s so-called rights today.

Don't give me your rhetoric that fathers need "safeguards"- it doesn't fly.
Posted by happy, Monday, 20 December 2010 10:14:54 AM
(Con't)
If my father went to the FC today, he would have custody of us all, and my mother would be branded as a liar and mentally ill.
I would be branded as having been brainwashed by my mother and suffering from Parental Alienation because my mother raised allegations of child abuse and DV.

BUT, that is not my sole basis for taking the stand that I do- a stand you persist in characterizing as a character flaw on my part, accusing me of lies, distortion and “misguided” feminist ideology.
THAT is the evidence that the research and literature has consistently pointed out.

However, my experiences have also enabled me to pick the dodgy accounts of DV from ten paces. I KNOW the difference between the made up allegations from both men and women, and I have done and continue to do the hard yards in academic training, research and critical analysis. I am not fooled by my own experiences nor by the ranting of mostly men and some women who are the primary aggressors.

The problem with FL today is not the suffering of falsely accused fathers- It is the suffering of their victims, the women and children that have tried to escape abusive fathers and partners. It is also the suffering of protective fathers that find no help from the father's rights groups either. The system is so skewed towards protecting the accused father that actual abusive mothers also end up with the kids.
http://www.parentsformeganslaw.org/newscategories/newsArticles/General/SHAME_ON_YOU/JUSTICE_SYSTEM/COURTS_DON_T_TAKE_CHILD_POR
Posted by happy, Monday, 20 December 2010 10:18:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. 22