The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The feminisation of slavery > Comments

The feminisation of slavery : Comments

By Nic Borgese, published 30/11/2010

For Indonesian maids working abroad the reality of life is strikingly akin to a modern-day slavery overly represented by women.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
just replace 'indonesian' with 'filipina' and the picture is similar:
the women are driven to do this sort of dirty work and put up with all its attendant abuse from their employers because of their desperate poverty back home
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 30 November 2010 9:54:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sure it's terrible. But unless you can show that third-world female domestic staff have worse oppression and suffering than press-ganged male sailors, kidnapped male child soldiers, kidnapped male child farm and mine slaves... you are talking myths.

Even the feminist UN admits that there is a larger kidnapping and trafficing in males, than females.

Sure it's bad, but it's not a gender issue... it's simple power and poverty.
Posted by partTimeParent, Tuesday, 30 November 2010 10:47:39 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't think it is a case of demonstrating whether it is males of females that suffer most when trafficked or held as slaves. And clearly the situation of millions of women (as well as men) world wide it isn't a myth. But you are right it is a case of power and poverty, although not so simple ...
Posted by nic@otmi, Tuesday, 30 November 2010 12:36:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I echo SHRODE's comment- this is nothing new and has affected Filipinas for years. It's noteworthy that the article didn't mention where the Indonesian "maids" were murdered- it was in the old suspect, Saudi Arabia, where females have few rights, non-Muslim females less rights than a dog.

I wonder how closely the piece was edited: what are "political heavy weights"? Fat politicians?
Posted by viking13, Wednesday, 1 December 2010 9:02:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy