The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sexual harassment will only be eliminated when men take part in ending it > Comments

Sexual harassment will only be eliminated when men take part in ending it : Comments

By Michael Flood, published 10/11/2010

Hey guys, if you're not part of the solution...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All
What we are all seeking from any of these discussions, whether it be child custody, family law, violence, sexual harrassment, rape, child abuse is - the truth. That the 'truth' will out.

Getting to the truth of allegations is not always easy and there is no fullproof system that can determine truths when there exist two opposing claims. How do you devise a system that will seek out the truth and act accordingly.

I don't have the answer, but making it easier for abusers to perpetuate their misery on others is equally as bad a system that, as some argue, make it easier for false allegations to be presented.

Other than using torture techniques to get to the truth of a matter, what does one suggest? I believe lie detector equipment is not always accurate - so what does one do as a legislator? I don't believe one can ever get the balance right on this one. Too hard one way or the other and the system will make it easier for abusers or increase the number of false or exaggerated allegations. Human nature is not perfect but I believe most allegations are not made maliciously regardless of gender politics. Those that are should be dealt with appropriately.

What to do? It is a dilemma.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 17 November 2010 8:25:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pelican I'm undecided about lie detector's. I get the impression that when used by a skilled operator they are very hard for most people to beat and probably a lot better than what we do now.

It might be the cynic in me but I doubt that many pollies would want them in widespread use, imagine the awkwardness of being asked to take an interview about broken election promises (or dodgy costings) with one hooked up. Wouldn't the rest of us love to see that from time to time.

On this particular topic it continues to stick in my mind that there is an underlying assumption that the blokes who still do sexual harassment etc care about the opinions of the rest of us. I suspect that for most of them the closest they come to caring is being able to boast that the behavior works sometimes. Censure from men who don't do it is more likely to promote contempt than change.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 17 November 2010 9:13:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep, agree RObert. The lie detector was tongue in cheek but really when it comes to people, either one party is outright lying and knows it, or both parties actually think they are right and believe their perception of events is factually true.

Human nature is funny like that. Most men know, when they go too far and most women know when they are being 'precious'. Most of the angst on this issue is about theoreticals but in reality SH has greatly reduced and for that we should be thankful.
Posted by pelican, Thursday, 18 November 2010 3:02:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy