The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Visit to Christmas Island condemns mandatory detention > Comments

Visit to Christmas Island condemns mandatory detention : Comments

By Catherine Branson, published 2/11/2010

For the third year in a row the Human Rights Commission has called for an end to mandatory detention on Christmas Island.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
ozbib,
If the author is a QC that is all the more reason she should appreciate that it is our law that makes it unlawfull to enter Aus without a valid visa. That is the reason we can and do detain the boat people.i.e. Because they are acting contrary to our laws. We do not detain those that enter Aus legally.

If you look you will see that even the UN states that an intended asylum seeker must obey the laws of the country in which he seeks asylum. We have undertaken NOT to prosecute those that enter illegally and go on to seek asylum, but we do detain them.

The reason the 'illegals' are not getting universal support is because they are rightly seem to be cheats, liars and fraudsters.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 3 November 2010 8:46:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham, fair go mate.

You can’t expect everyone to respond with anything better than the article itself, that’s just not reasonable.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 3 November 2010 9:33:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, the article isn't abusive and the writer states her point of view calmly and rationally. Just because some of you violently disagree it doesn't licence you to be rude.

I'm happy to have a government agency posting here, and I'd like to see more of it. But we won't if commenters think that they can be disrespectful in their responses. There is no onus on you to agree, but there is an onus to be civil.
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 3 November 2010 10:01:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Many times the number of people making up the present population of Australia would consider detention centres as luxurious in comparison to what they have. What I can't comprehend is why on one hand we condemn the standard of detention centres yet on the other hand we don't want to send military into countries which cause our detention centres to fill up. We don't appear to worry too much when our poor Banks repossess family homes or when farmers get evicted from their land etc. How many more refugees do we let those military & religious maniac regimes send to our shores before we actually get to the stage where we say enough. Let's go into these countries & stir crap at these regimes & stop the production of refugees. We should also open our eyes & minds a bit more & start viewing many of those who come here as being not genuine refugees because I'm convinced that many aren't.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 3 November 2010 7:45:43 PM
SHRODE
"Were the first convict settlers ever treated as badly?"
Actually bothering to read about the convicts would have revealed that not only were they put into much worse detention centers, but they were subjected to corporal punishment and the death penalty for minor offenses due to the difficulty of surviving and the scarcity of resources. How such a statement could be made is puzzling.

To the article;

"Put simply, people should only be held in immigration detention if there is a risk that justifies detaining them. If no such risk exists they should be allowed to reside in community-based alternatives to detention while their refugee claims are assessed. "
This I agree with and should be our standard. I would insist that this process is rigorous and errs on the side of caution.

Sorry to be callous, but if a refugee is mentally unsound, they should be BARRED from my country- that in my opinion constitutes a risk, and it is absolutely not my obligation to be put in harms way to heal the scars of the person who is a danger to me. My human rights are put at risk to ensure THEIR human rights are upheld- and personally, the rights of the imposed trump those of the imposer.
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 3 November 2010 10:22:08 PM
- rpg said: "I say "illegal immigrants" to differentiate from other immigrants - we all know exactly who we mean when we say that, it is the uninvited boat arrivals."

Actually, the vast majority of illegal immigrants arrive by plane.

- individual said: "Let's go into these countries & stir crap at these regimes & stop the production of refugees."

'Stirring crap' with 'these regimes' has historically led to exponentially more refugees arriving on Australia shores. E.g. Vietnam War, Iraq wars, Afghanistan war. So, not a good strategy I'd suggest, if less refugees is what you want.

There seems to be a misunderstanding on the part of a few posters as to the difference between 'illegal immigrants' and 'refugees' (or 'asylum seekers'). They are most certainly not the same thing. The UN Refugee Agency can help clear that up for you:
http://www.unhcr.org.au/basicdef.shtml

I'd also encourage everyone to read this asylum seeker fact sheet:
http://www.asrc.org.au/media/documents/myth-busters.pdf
Posted by Irmin, Thursday, 4 November 2010 6:31:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy