The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Kristina Keneally's rational Catholic conscience > Comments

Kristina Keneally's rational Catholic conscience : Comments

By Tony Smith, published 25/10/2010

If personal conscience is the axis of Catholic or Christian faith then society has nothing to worry about.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
"A new way to maintain faith in a conservative church" might not include

"proposing that theology should cast God as a woman as well as the male Jesus"

as Kristina Keneally has done.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/indepth/kristina-keneally-believes-god-is-a-girl/story-fn4lqo4t-1225809552381
Posted by McReal, Monday, 25 October 2010 8:18:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That's one way of looking at it, McReal.

>>"A new way to maintain faith in a conservative church" might not include "proposing that theology should cast God as a woman as well as the male Jesus" as Kristina Keneally has done.<<

But if what Katie Holmes' sister says is true...

"'I remember she loved the musical group Duran Duran,' Holly Holmes said."

That demonstrates real courage, and a determination not to let the rest of the world's opinion faze you.

She's got my vote.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 25 October 2010 10:19:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Authority from (i) the sister of a scientologist's husband, and (ii) Duran Duran, Pericles? Hallelujah.
Posted by McReal, Monday, 25 October 2010 10:39:36 AM
OK, 'Progressive Catholicism' has been duly added to the oxymoron list, along with 'Military Intelligence' and 'Government Assistance'.

Poor Labor! now they can no longer rely on the unthinking support of electors with a shared delusion, they will have to rely on policy achievements and responsible government. Good luck with that, Kristina!
Posted by Jon J, Monday, 25 October 2010 11:10:24 AM
no doubt Judas would be painted as a saint by many secularist
Posted by runner, Monday, 25 October 2010 12:56:00 PM
But then again Runner everything described in this reference was done by self-righteous true believers - just like you. All justified in the name of god and jesus, and the bringing of the "truth" and "jesus" to the heathen savages.

http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/cruelty.html

Onwards self-righteous true believing chistian soldiers ALWAYS marching into war.

Hey ho, hey ho, a plundering we will go, with the cross of "jesus" marching on before.

I am sure the Jesus and the great saints of the Christian tradition were into marching, murder, plunder and general mayhem.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 25 October 2010 1:08:09 PM
This made me spit my coffee
"She is no-one's puppet.
....sides uncompromisingly with the poor"

I can't believe someone would write something so flat-out wrong.
Too bad Kineally's faith didn't stop her from being a complete slimy crook who uses her power to personally intervene to help a rich private developer who got CAUGHT OUT for presenting false information about their development plans in their building application to streamline their project against the wishes of the locals who wanted the land to be used for the public!
That rubs me as the exact opposite of what you described.
Strike one.

Also, Frank Brennan's personal 'conscience' still falls short of abortion and euthanasia rights, and as such shows a clear example of where their religious conscience COULD impede society were they in a position to decide for us.
Strike two.

Anyway, I know the point is to support what appear to be moderate catholics in their work, but please, when you pick someone (let alone TWO people) to use as examples, make sure that they're not a scoundrel and a fundamentalist- as opposed to two people who merely rate as not-as-bad-as-a-neocon?
Strike three.
Posted by King Hazza, Monday, 25 October 2010 3:38:24 PM
Ho Hum

'But then again Runner everything described in this reference was done by self-righteous true believers - just like you. All justified in the name of god and jesus, and the bringing of the "truth" and "jesus" to the heathen savages.'

If you are not justified in the name of Jesus then you are not justified. This is hardly self righteousness Ho Hum. Just think for a change.
Posted by runner, Monday, 25 October 2010 5:41:22 PM
Runner <"If you are not justified in the name of Jesus then you are not justified."
Only true in your mind Runner, and in the minds of like-minded Christians.
I am sure Allah, Mohammed or Buddha could be used in that sentence and mean just the same to people of those faiths.

I am with King Hazza on the subject of Kristina Keneally. I find her a little vacuous in many ways- standing behind the Prime Minister at news conferences, nodding maniacally!

She brings far too much of her 'faith' to the political table, and I find that annoying and old-fashioned in our increasingly secular society.
Politics and religion are not meant to be closely allied.
Posted by suzeonline, Monday, 25 October 2010 11:46:29 PM
If you are not justified in the name of Allah, then you are not justified. This is righteousness, runner.
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 26 October 2010 6:49:09 AM
It is always interesting to hear the wide range of views regarding politicians. I actually like Kristina Kenneally and found her to be genuine from just one speech; at the time Kristina made the speech congratulating Jessica Watson after her around the world solo sailing voyage.

Kristina was literally and verbally standing apart from the former Prime Minister and spoke genuinely, intelligently and articulately, not once mentioning religion or christianity.

The issues both Kristina and Sandra raised at the time were highly intelligent along with genuine heartfelt emotion expressed, unlike some other speeches made afterwards by some other people.

I had no idea of Kristina's religious background until this thread appeared.
Posted by we are unique, Tuesday, 26 October 2010 10:18:37 PM
Kristina...hey, she's nobody's guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrl.
Posted by The Blue Cross, Tuesday, 26 October 2010 11:43:55 PM
"The issues both Kristina and Sandra raised at the time were highly intelligent along with genuine heartfelt emotion expressed"
We have a long way to go before we can spot a PERFORMANCE.
Next I suppose you will start telling me about Malcolm Turnbull's passion for whatever cause he clings to?
Posted by King Hazza, Wednesday, 27 October 2010 9:21:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy