The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > What is it with Gen X? > Comments

What is it with Gen X? : Comments

By Sandra Kanck, published 22/10/2010

Gen X is missing in action leaving the greying to mind society.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Long live the baby boomers.

We had Elvis in the 50s and the Beatles in the 60s... (doesn't get better than that). In the 70s we bought up all the cheap houses. In the 80s we worked our 32 -38 hour weeks. The 90s were a disaster because we had to learn how to use those new fangled computeee thingys and how to operate an ATM ..... oh the stress stress stress! Up to 2010 we sat back, got fat and watched our wealth grow grow grow. Now we're starting to retire and taking our long slow caravan trips right around Australia . . . and even the non-wealthy baby boomers (people like ex wannabe guitar gods and failed hippies) can easily get a govt. old age pension and live off the slavery of the ungrateful gen X and gen Y (who cares about them anyway).

Life is good. Long live the baby boomers!
Posted by samsung, Saturday, 23 October 2010 2:37:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What is it with the growth of wedge politics as regards generational differences?

As a late baby boomer/early Gen Xer (depending on what definition you read) I have done my share of political involvement. But real life does get in the way - job, mortgage, family and then whatever time you have left.

There are different hardships and positives in all decades if we look hard enough and try not to get too bogged down in self congratulation aor self pity.

The nature of political activism has changed. You cannot compare the outpourings motivated by Vietnam compared to the 'silence is deafening' protests about Iraq and Afghanistan. One influential factor here is the improvements in communication - now activism and ideas are spread via the Internet on sites such as OLO rather than street demonstrations which was the only tool available and one way to get noticed.

The street demonstrations are more colourful and make the news but in our modern 24 hour news cycle more in depth analysis is becoming rare, being largely overshadowed by sensationalist celebrity gossip and piffle politics.
Posted by pelican, Saturday, 23 October 2010 4:01:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a babyboomer and am wondering what I have been missing - apparantly I am supposed to be well off now looking to a future of glorious retirement...... I wish.

My parents were not well off, but managed to send me to day secretarial school.

I was from the generation that still believed that you married young and your husband supported you - thus, my working life didnt start till late and then only part time - so now my super is albut nothing.

Life wasnt easy. My husband was a carpenter, caught in a downturn...our only way out was to move to keep employeed. So after 8 moves in 12 years covering 3 states and territories and a stint on an Aboriginal Community, we finally settled. By then we had three children to educate and no hope of saving on our wages.

Yes....this baby boomer had it easy....NOT.

Every generation has its problems.

Every generation will find its solutions.

Each generation will find its own level.

Stop whining and look at the positives in life - there are many - for each generation.
Posted by searching, Saturday, 23 October 2010 4:55:29 PM
Why on earth do they call them Generation X ? Wouldn't Generation Z as zzzzzzz....?? be more appropriate ?
Posted by individual, Saturday, 23 October 2010 7:54:19 PM
Personally I find these generational disputes painted with rather too wide a brush.
I would describe myself as a late boomer (circa 55) and I recall early adulthood as being pretty darn good. Wages were high, costs and unemployment were low, and the gap between the richest and poorest has never been lower. We truly believed a 'classless' society was possible.
It's been going downhill ever since. I have suffered several recessions, a few 'downturns' and a fair bit of unemployment. I can't see myself retiring until I'm 70 the way things are going.
I truly do not envy my children.
I recall my mother was a great one for volunteering; but then, she didn't have to work.
Posted by Grim, Sunday, 24 October 2010 6:00:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gen X has just one problem.

ME...ME...MEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEE and more

MEEEEEEEEE
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Sunday, 24 October 2010 8:57:04 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy