The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Don’t wait until the Queen dies to become a republic > Comments

Don’t wait until the Queen dies to become a republic : Comments

By Mike Keating and David Donovan, published 5/10/2010

Republicans are used to monarchists manufacturing myths to try to scare people away from a republic.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Predictably the timid nay-sayers and their fellow travellers are out in force say how unimportant and irrelevant it is to be a proud and committed Australian.

Surely it's at least a bit embarrassing that the British Royals wish we would go away. But no, the servile monachists don't think they're good enough to run their own lives: they must depend on mummy's apron strings.

This article states facts as they are. I want an Australian head of state - not some jaded potentate from a faded empire.
Posted by LRAM, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 11:25:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One of these blokes is an old soldier. They're usually pretty genuine blokes, but a smart [I almost said good, silly me] lawyer usually makes mince meat of this type. The other bloke's a lawyer, & they're the only lot with anything to gain by any change in our constitution.

Going republic would lead to 20 years of high court challenges, highly profitable to the legal profession. It'll cost the rest of us billions.

Then don't forget those judges. They are, after all, more of the legal profession, & many of them have become activists these days. Most of them seem to be more interested in rewriting the law, than interpreting it.

So watch out people. Don't fall for this emotive claptrap, peasants like you & me can only loose if we allow the elite to conn us into giving them the keys to the law cupboard. What they will leave will be nothing like what they appear to be offering.

The old one, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was never more true
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 11:47:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why wait until the end of the Queen's reign before Australia becomes a republic? This should be a matter of principle rather than personality.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is in her present position because:-
(i) she was born in the right bed and had the required German blood, that of the very late Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover;
(ii) she is a member of the Church of England and is not married to a Catholic. Catholics are "not to be trusted" or as the Bill of Rights 1688 says "it is inconsistent with the safety and welfare of this
protestant kingdom to be governed by a papist (i.e. Catholic). This is the only instance in the western civilised world where sectarian bigotry is condoned and enforceable by statute law;
(iii) Her father and mother did not produce a male child. If they had, even if he was the last born, he would have become king of the
United Kingdom (and hence Australia). Gender prejudice of this type is unacceptable in 21st century Australia. The second class status of women is a thing of the past in our culture. And rightly so!

If there is any virtue in constitutional monarchy it has failed. It failed abysmally during the constitutional crisis in Australia in 1975 when her representative sacked the democratically elected government. It failed abysmally in Grenada in 1983 when the USA invaded a country which was a member of the Commonwealth of Nations of which the Queen is head. It failed abysmally in Fiji, of which the Queen was head of state, in 1987 when Colonel Rabuka led a military coup.

In all those instances the Queen did............nothing!

During virtually all of her reign the not-so-United Kingdom has been blighted by a civil war during which more than 3,600 of Her Majesty's subjects have been slaughtered in religious strife at the very heart of which is a monarchy based on vicious sectarian prejudice.

Australia deserves better than this. Principles should take precedence over personality. An Australian republic should be a matter of constitutional and political priority.
Posted by Roy McKeen, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 12:25:10 PM
When Malcolm gets to be leader, the queen had better dy, or else we will have to go it alone.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 12:35:21 PM
All I know is that America is a Republic and I certainly don't want to live in a country like that. I mean George Bush was its President and the Village Idiot of world politics at the same time. And Obomber has taken over where Bush left off!

The Republic of America is also the world's principal warmonger and spends trillions of dollars on arms while it's people (1 in 7) live in poverty. It also carries out torture, rendition, uses DU, cluster bombs, drones, etc.

No, no republic for me, thanks!
Posted by David G, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 1:22:34 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know what that lot has got to do with a republic. It's not the republic bit it's the constitution. Everyone can have a gun senerio, written for cowboys and they still are.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 5 October 2010 1:40:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy