The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Commonwealth Games and the Indian reality > Comments

The Commonwealth Games and the Indian reality : Comments

By David Robinson, published 1/10/2010

The real context of 'Commonwealth Crisis' in Delhi - in a country where many scrape out a meagre existence.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Thank you for this article Dr. Robinson,

We really do live luxurious lifestyles and look down our noses at people who 'choose' to live below our standard. It is sad that many of us actually believe that people choose to be poor and that we can't help.

There will never be global happiness and peace until we get rid of country driven economies and interests and just have a 'world' community with everyone looking out for eachother.
Posted by Elise, Friday, 1 October 2010 9:58:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for the article, really brings perspective back into the discussion. I wonder how much of the hype is due to actual mismanagement and how much to misunderstood cultural/building customs.
I think all US homes have central air/heating - not the same in Australia. Japanese homes usually have very thin walls even in areas that have long, snow-filled winters - insulation is a 'new' concept.

What I wonder is how much, if any, money has been wasted (I would tend to guess, as with any big project, quite a fair bit has been wasted...). I think there are legitimate concerns especially with regards to security and the monsoon did not help, but paw prints on bedding is not very nice.

Also, I saw some reports that the athlete's village had marble-tiled bathrooms...This sounds like luxury overkill. I don't have all the info but I'm guessing the planners are thinking of selling/renting the village post-Games as luxury apartments (which would make sense...otherwise what do you do with the village)?

Saw this report that Kiwi athletes will not be allowed to leave the village - kind of defeats the purpose of fostering better ties within the Commonwealth: http://www.theage.com.au/commonwealth-games-2010/comm-games-news/kiwi-athletes-prevented-from-leaving-village-20101001-15zyx.html - how about a curfew? Security is of course an issue, but what is the point of holding the Games in India if there will be minimal interaction between the athletes and locals? (and yes, I am aware that so far it looks like only NZ will be preventing their athletes from leaving the village).

http://currentglobalperceptions.blogspot.com/
Posted by jorge, Friday, 1 October 2010 1:39:29 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy