The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > One of the three musketeers > Comments

One of the three musketeers : Comments

By Helen Pringle, published 7/9/2010

Rob Oakeshott, perhaps unlike the other musketeers, will make trouble for whichever side of politics he comes to support.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Yep, Ludwig, like you I only hope that the so-called two independent rebels can at least keep Julie's Laborites honest.

Though retired in Mandurah, as an old Cockie, I hope they intend to pay a certain reverence to our smaller country towns.

Our nearest siding was Buntine, which in the steam-train days was a strategic watering point, as well as a robust lodging facility for railway staff, etc. Much more important to us, of course, than Dalwallinu.

It is interesting that Buntine staff workers filled tennis and cricket teams in the summer much more than the local farmers.

However, the most historically interesting is that while in the winter, Aussie rules footy was played in the slack times on Saturday, soccer was played on Sunday.

Naturally, MOST OF THE SOCCER TEAMS WERE MADE UP FROM MIGRANTS> NOT ONLY POMS BUT SWEDES AND NORWEGINS WHO HAD JUMPED SHIP>
Posted by bushbred, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 8:44:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hello Bushbred

Very nice to meet you again on this forum after long-time-no-contact.

I remember Mandurah as a little fishing village back in the 60s. Wow, has it ever changed!

And I know Dalwallinu as the wattle capital of the world, with the most amazing number of species of Acacias (wattles) in that area. Being a botanist with a particular passion for wattles, that means a great deal to me, especially when as young botanist in the late 70s I travelled through that area and the whole region around it and collected specimens of many then undescribed species of Acacia, one if which was named after me.

Now, with these independents in power, who are all highly honourable people…hopefully including old Bob Katter…. we really should see some meaningful reforms. Reforms that take us away from the despicable antidemocratic relationship between government and big business, which has existed with both major parties for a long time, are badly needed.

Unfortunately the Greens missed a golden opportunity to get a binding agreement on meaningful reforms, and ended up with piss-weak points of agreement with Labor, as I’ve expressed here: http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=3936
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:41:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Windsor and Oakshott should enjoy their short term in the limelight because after this, there will be a swing away from Independents and probably Greens after this period of faux 'agreement' between them and Labor. Its a desperate experiment that cannot work.

Labor almost imploded during the elections and now have to deal, not only with the warring factions and animosities resulting from their near defeat but with keeping the Greens and those wacky Independents happy too. Be prepared for all hell to break loose without Tony Abbot having to utter a word.

Oakshott is basically unpredictable. He is already addicted to the limelight. That can only mean one thing. He will want to retain it; probably by grandstanding on a matter of 'principle'.

These guys are out of their depth and wielding huge political power. This can only end in tears.
Posted by Atman, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:44:36 PM
I am joyful that the Abbott is not in power!

I agree that Julia is a breathe of fresh air, and our first elected female prime minister too!

I like the Greens having more say in Government- they will bring forth some previously unthinkable modern ideas I feel.

After watching QandA last night, I am thankful that the other two independents did not side with Bob Katter, after his disgraceful, aggressive, finger pointing, homophobic gesticulations, amongst a group of rational panel members and audience.

How embarrassing to Australian politics is this redneck?
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 11:22:05 PM
The two-party system doesn't work anymore! We don't want invisible men pulling the strings whether they are union-based or boardroom-based.

A two-party system is divisive especially when one represents capitalist greed and the other represents union dominance.

It's time members of both major parties went back to representing their constituents rather than toeing divisive party lines.

I look on this result as being a chance for positive change in Australian politics. Hopefully rusted-on voters will be willing to change too.

http://www.dangerouscreation.com
Posted by David G, Wednesday, 8 September 2010 10:06:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It seems pretty clear that the government will struggle along in fits and starts. Chance of the mining tax getting up? buckleys. If they want to get re-elected they will have to make sure broadband stacks up in a fashion totally disiliar to BER and the pink bats.

The big winners from yesterdays events will be Abbott and prospective independent candidates across the regions. Why would a regional electorate prefer to National Party MP (unless they are in WA) over a potential rainmaker Independent?
Posted by Dennis U, Wednesday, 8 September 2010 1:04:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy