The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Australia needs a ‘burqa ban’ > Comments

Why Australia needs a ‘burqa ban’ : Comments

By James Mangisi, published 24/8/2010

Hiding the face in public is incompatible with accountable adult participation in society making the justification for a 'burqa ban' obvious.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All
Dear Pericles.. as usual, you need some special attention and guidance.

Not a bad try as tries go, -the Terreblanche story and images.

Calling him "Born Again" could have been supplemented with:

//One of only three whites in the Rooigrond prison near Mafikeng, during his time in prison he became a born-again Christian and later claimed to have moderated many of his more racist views//

What kind of moderation and what kind of faith, are between him and his Lord. Being "Born Again" does not make a person sinless, but it does change their outlook. You know..'Fruit of the Spirit' Galatians 5

As always, the issue for me is not anecdotes alone, but anecdotes which can be connected directly to theological foundation. For the "Muslims and Nazi's" the connection is clear. For the 'Christians' it is a smelly dead fish, ie.. not fit for intellectual consumption.
You know.."Hitler hated Jews...wrote such in Mein Kampf...then killed a few million of them" all the dots are connected.

Now.. that aside, you still are not with the program... you know...the one called 'rationality, reason and balance'.

'Rationality': (foundation valid?)
Islam (The Muslims) hate the Jews as a matter of 'fundamental ideology' "The last hour will not come unless the Muslims kill the Jews" etc.. I don't need to give chapter and verse do I ?

'Reason': (what follows from a presupposition)
a)Muhammad said that. b)Muslims follow Muhammad case closed.
You could mention any number of convenient exceptions of an anecdotal nature, but they don't contribute to the basic premise.

To know which attitude a Muslim holds, ie..."orthodox" or "unorthodox" you need to examine theology.

YUSUFALI: Strongest among men in enmity to the believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers wilt thou find those who say, "We are Christians":

That leaves just....

'Balance': in which case we would need to examine various passages, their contexts and historical background..something you are loathe to do... so I won't try.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 6 September 2010 8:51:49 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Once again, your highly selective mind chooses to hear precisely what it wants to hear, Boaz.

And nothing else.

>>As always, the issue for me is not anecdotes alone, but anecdotes which can be connected directly to theological foundation.<<

And, as always for you, you choose to ignore completely the point I was illustrating for you.

It had nothing to do with "anecdotes", Boaz.

It also has nothing to do with Terreblanche. Whether he was born-again, mostly born-again, somewhat born-again, slightly born-again or totally unrepentant.

I was pointing out to you that when you trawl the internet for examples of people using the Nazi salute, you will find far more instances of it being deployed by white Christians, than by Muslims.

Of any shade.

Do you remember now?

>>OH shock horror.. "Muslims doing Hitler salutes"<<

Which provided us with examples to support your contention that...

>>The Burqa, to me..is the moral equivalent... of some bloke walking down the main drag in a Hitler Youth uniform, complete with swastika's and jackboots<<

You now have seen pictures of emotional crowds of white Christians "doing Hitler salutes", and a picture of Herr Ratzinger (also, I believe, a Christian. Possibly even of the "born-again" variety) in "Hitler Youth uniform".

Altogether, a fairly comprehensive antidote to your cheap shot about the "moral equivalence" of the burqa.

It might be prudent for you to drop this particular line of "reasoning", Boaz, and retire quietly to contemplate how you might profitably mend your ways.

Failing that, learn how to stop leading with your chin.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 6 September 2010 9:54:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy