The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Selling us down the river > Comments

Selling us down the river : Comments

By Bernard Eddy, published 29/7/2010

Last week Australia was told, for the first time in a decade of subterfuge, that the privatisation of water is the aim 'moving forward'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Not to mention Fester water privatization is only 'inevitable' if the politicians in charge were itching to make a buck off selling it and don't really care- and we throw our support behind them anyway.

There is no logical or moral justification or excuse one could possibly make to warrant selling water rights, if the best reason is filtering and purifying (ignoring that most modern household appliances, including refrigerators, have their own filtration units as a standard feature).

Not that that would stop them from simply selling the water and not even pretending they did it for our benefit at all.
Posted by King Hazza, Sunday, 1 August 2010 12:06:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza

I also think it a given that there is a strong profit motive behind the privatisation push. But the push would come to nothing without the belief that population growth is a driver of economic prosperity.
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 1 August 2010 11:43:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To all, here is a range of terms you used in this thread that absolutely alarm me.

Privatisation push, inevitable, selling our rights, public pays through the nose, no basis to assume they will improve the quality, no choice but to use, we do not enjoy "clean clear uncontaminated water", billions that they have wasted on less vital projects, already own and control 50% of many Australians water supplies, our leaders were bought by the Captains of Industry, trust patently interested gamblers near our wealth.

If we had a government with 10% vision we would have spent the BER billions on water, and actually achieved something even though half the money would have been legally swindled from us. No government of the last thirty years has protected our homogeneous right to cheap sustainable water supply for our nation.

Here are the price rises over the last two years.
QLD 32%, NSW 36%, NT 26%, WA 30%, TAS 27%, SA 25%, ACT 30%, Victoria deregulated and "increases" vary between suppliers, but Vic is cheaper than QLD and NSW. I am opposed to foreign ownership of vital resource such as power, water, and land. I want Australian control of these things if the shiesen and the fan collide.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 1 August 2010 3:31:50 PM
Those price hikes are for electricity and gas, not water but the numbers are similar.
Posted by sonofgloin, Sunday, 1 August 2010 3:35:28 PM
Here are the price rises over the last two years.
QLD 32%, NSW 36%, NT 26%, WA 30%, TAS 27%, SA 25%, ACT 30%, Victoria deregulated and "increases" vary between suppliers, but Vic is cheaper than QLD and NSW. I am opposed to foreign ownership of vital resource such as power, water, and land. I want Australian control of these things if the shiesen and the fan collide.

Sadly, the horses have bolted Sonofgloin, hence Bernard's Thread; similarly, as have most of our companies and land been 'sold down the river'. In respect to Land and development; I came to terms with this years ago; positives for Australians in relation to acquiring homes however sad and disappointed regarding the wonderful old notorious companies forced or lured to sell out during tough times with zilch government support or tax breaks.

Land, Food, Water: what's next on the list? Our whole country and its people ie 'communism'?
Posted by we are unique, Monday, 2 August 2010 12:22:56 AM
We Are Unique- and given that our government(s) is probably the most privatization-happy and nationalization-fearing in the Western World, there is zilch chance that they would even try to call the horse back, so to speak- unless a party that seriously endorses nationalization comes into government.
Posted by King Hazza, Monday, 2 August 2010 4:14:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy