The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Putting the national interest first > Comments

Putting the national interest first : Comments

By Julie Bishop, published 27/7/2010

Next month the Pacific Islands Forum will meet in Vanuatu: but Australia will not be represented by our government. Why?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
I am a little concerned that Ms. Bishop has been allowed to use this forum to sling mud at the government not once, but twice. Both of her articles in recent weeks have followed the line of the Coalition's election campaign: offer absolutely nothing in the way of policy but throw cheap barbs at the current administration. Please, Ms. Bishop: tell us what you and your party will do for Australia. We have had three years to judge the current government, and don't need you to shove their shortcomings down our throats. Don't tell us why we shouldn't vote Labor. Tell us why we should vote for your party. I'm happy to admit that I've voted Lib/Nat in every election in my short voting life, but can find absolutely no compelling reason to do so in 2010. This article does nothing to reassure me.
Posted by Otokonoko, Tuesday, 27 July 2010 10:18:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What....What..!

What audacity where on earth do you get the gall to pose the question “Putting the national interest first” Ms Bishop? Given the fiasco of your recent press conferences where you announced nonchalance to the world that;

“AUSTRALIA has forged passports for use on overseas missions, the opposition's foreign affairs spokeswoman Julie Bishop says”.

Asked whether Australia had also used forged passports, she said "yes".

"I believe that it has occurred, but I wasn't the foreign minister at the time."

She also would ask them not to do it again!

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/australia-has-forged-passports-too/story-e6frfku0-1225871197573#ixzz0utlO3CCG

After requesting and receiving classified information from Australian Intelligence Agencies, you then betrayed the trust of a nation by announcing that information to the world. Did you “put the national interest first” when you made the above statement to journalists and disclosed classified secret intelligence methods placing Australian lives at risk? Do you cowl under cover of darkness on route to the diplomatic missions of your masters?
Posted by Westralis, Wednesday, 28 July 2010 2:21:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Westralian,
Quite a few years ago while hollidaying overseas I red in the national paper about an Australian who was caught in a sting opperation by the local drug squad, and he was singing blue murder because it was unfare. If you brake the law you are subject to the law, for if you do what is right and do it right it works. When you gamble you win some, you lose som. Isn't it marvelous how the only the bad guys are allowed to break the rules, but the law inforcers have to play fair. Life is not a game.
Posted by Richie 10, Wednesday, 28 July 2010 3:36:07 AM
Asked whether Australia had also used forged passports, she said "yes".
Westralis,
I'd definitely not believe her if she'd said No.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 28 July 2010 4:56:43 AM
May I refer Ms Bishop to the Caretaker Conventions which read:

"5. INTERNATIONAL NEGOTIATIONS AND VISITS
5.1 The convention that the Government avoids entering major commitments during the caretaker period gives rise to particular issues in the context of international negotiations. The Government ordinarily seeks to defer such negotiations or adopts observer status until the end of the caretaker period. The other parties to the negotiations, however, may not be familiar with the concept of caretaker conventions and the Government may need to explain the constraints they impose."

A copy of the guidelines for your convenience can be found here:

http://www.dpmc.gov.au/guidelines/docs/caretaker_conventions.pdf
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 28 July 2010 11:09:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy