The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tick the youth box with climate change > Comments

Tick the youth box with climate change : Comments

By Sophie Trevitt, published 26/7/2010

Young people have most to lose when it comes to climate change; and most to gain from strong, immediate action.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
“I argue that by far the most destructive force on the planet is power-driven financiers and profit-driven corporations and their cartels backed by military might; and that the global warming myth is a red herring that contributes to hiding this truth. In my opinion, activists who, using any justification, feed the global warming myth have effectively been co-opted, or at best neutralized,” Rancourt said
Posted by JamesH, Wednesday, 28 July 2010 8:37:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loxton, you called?

My question to Sophie relating to added value from posters was directed to her, correct, so leave it to her.

That your << post was primarily a plea to show some respect>> No it was not, you used that as a cover for seeking to defend her position, which is he same as yours.

If I’m wrong you can point to the last time you defended a poster on OLO with a contrary view to yours. If so you will get my public apology
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 28 July 2010 9:58:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
loxton, Sophie may be of sterner stuff than you are, she is not bleating for someone to show her some respect, why do you think she needs to be defended ?

You plea for "respect" for her, shows that you yourself are condescending, is that not so? that you think she is weak and needs a knight in shining armor to protect her from the evil ones who dare to disagree .. and are skeptical of AGW.

If she's concerned, she can complain to Graham, or indeed, enter the fray and defend herself, if she feels a defense is necessary. I expect she is watching the comments, and is seeing the response, and will learn from this experience.

Who appointed you the "protector" of the weak?
Posted by Amicus, Thursday, 29 July 2010 10:59:18 AM
Given the responses to my posts here, it looks like I have hit a nerve.

Okay let's get a few things clear.

I have not appointed myself Sophie's defender or "protector of the weak". If you read what I have actually written, as opposed to what you think I wrote, I have called attention to the patronising tone that was used to respond to Sophie. I have actually made no comment about the content of either Sophie's article or the responses solely their tone.

In response to one of the other questions directed at me, yes I would make the same comment regardless of whether I agreed with the person or not. I adhere to the maxim that I may not agree with you, but I will defend your right to say it. I do however object if you couch your opinion in gratuitous, patronising or demeaning terms. I admit I have gone too far myself on this forum in the past, but I have apologised where necessary.

Maybe you all speak to your female relatives and acquaintances in that tone, but I do not. I find it cringeworthy and, as this forum is called On-line Opinion, I felt it reasonable to state my opinion. Like it or lump it.
Posted by Loxton, Friday, 30 July 2010 1:28:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy