The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Teaching art: an aesthetic dog's breakfast > Comments

Teaching art: an aesthetic dog's breakfast : Comments

By Jane Gooding-Brown, published 14/7/2010

'All you need is a pencil …' and courage to be an art teacher in the 21st century.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
floatinglili, <"Damien Hurst has statements that are interesting, thought-provoking and ultimately illuminating.">

I'm not sure; I don't know much about him and have never seen any of his work as far as I recall. It's very difficult isn't it when considering conceptual and performance art. I often wonder though if their point couldn't be made in some other way. Like I wonder how what he did to the shark (2 really wasn't it coz the first one didn't last) - is different from the rat killing (not that I am fond of sharks or rats).

I wonder how subsequent generations will consider it. Maybe like we all think about pop art (remember - big cans of Campbell soup and the like). I wonder how Titian would regard it.

You recall when Yoko Ono had an art exhibition and everyone turned up (media and such) to see canvasses that were blank or just had a dot or two on them. From the sounds of it she was demonstrating that power and media can sell the ridiculous or even nothing to undiscerning masses. Very interesting.

I notice that a lot of artists - even since Barry Humphries' university days (remember Shoe Scape and his custard on the pile of books etc) have been sniggering at public gullibility. I think it's time we got the message. Like this one -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2007/jun/13/art

The artist bet someone that people would pay as much for faeces if it was from an 'artist', as they would for gold. So help me Pete some idiots did just that.

It's high time for critical evaluation and standards that connect art to the past; the future and to the now as in - to other bodies of knowledge. I think maybe some of the curators and people on boards of galleries are very suspect too. I wonder how many artists; especially those who are commissioned, have links to the people who make decisions about what to promote.

(and Hi too floatinglili and Poirot - yes! I recognize exactly what you're saying. A lovely way to learn.).

pynch
Posted by Pynchme, Sunday, 18 July 2010 9:21:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
floatinglili and Poirot - just an afterthought: Is there such a thing as a code of ethics for artists?

<"Art used to be associated with technical skill, and beauty; beauty was associated with spiritual enrichment and 'truth'..."> Reading that reminded me of when in earlier times professional artists learned their craft in trade schools and workshops and the like; like an apprenticeship which, once they had acquired enough technical skill, would entitle them to carry out a commissioned project.

Thinking of Michelangelo and Co., it didn't seem to dampen their capacity for creativity but rather, to equip them with a repertoire of skills with which to express it. I wonder in what ways art courses in colleges now are somewhat like those apprenticeships, or where they differ
Posted by Pynchme, Sunday, 18 July 2010 9:39:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder... what do we think of assembly sculpture?

Personally I think rather less of Trecey Emin...
Posted by floatinglili, Monday, 19 July 2010 3:16:01 AM
floatinglili: <"I wonder... what do we think of assembly sculpture?

Personally I think rather less of Trecey Emin...">

I don't know anything about her but just looked up Wiki. She seems to me to be a troubled person who has been very well rewarded for navel gazing. Wiki says that she's a writer too and she seems to have made a lot of displays. Maybe there is something worthwhile in there; but the items for which she seems to be notorious are rather silly IMO.

Someone said she's "provocative". I disagree. Seeing someone's undies stained with menstrual blood, skiddies and whatever - well any laundry worker has seen as much. BFD. I think too that most of us have stepped over a used condom here and there. As for rumpled, unclean bedding. Again - local motel workers would have seen as much.
I doubt that any of them would have thought the people who left those items around were "provocative".

Unless she has done some amazing work that hasn't been noted; I can't discern anything remarkable, other than her obvious personal pain and quest for negative attention.
Posted by Pynchme, Monday, 19 July 2010 10:38:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy