The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > If Portugal can allow same-sex marriage, why not Australia? > Comments

If Portugal can allow same-sex marriage, why not Australia? : Comments

By Rodney Croome, published 8/7/2010

It is disappointing to many Australians that Julia Gillard believes only opposite-sex partners should be allowed to marry.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All
Otokonoko: I loved reading your post. I too recall having to carefully think (and feel - spiritually) through what I'd been taught and then to weigh it all up with additional Biblical information and what I saw around me; people I knew; various injustices and suffering and such.

There are plenty of Christian based reasons (including Biblical references) that, together with placing much of what's written in the historical and cultural context of the time, to just accept people and their ways of being, just as they are.

Anyway, you haven't been alone on that spiritual journey that you describe so well.

Ludwig - You put that really well too.

Cornflower - Can you tell me if I get the gist of your last post properly. Are you making the point that, if marriage for gays is legalized and all, that some might want to get married in a church. If that church is opposed (as most are), then there'd be a legal case for discrimination? Have I understood that properly? If so, I don't know what the answer to that would be. Maybe someone else would be able to say whether or not that would be a risk for churches and the like. I just don't know.
Posted by Pynchme, Tuesday, 13 July 2010 2:23:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unfortunately prejudice decreases and increases. It is never conquered.

I believe Australia and most other western countries will eventually allow homosexuals equal rights including same-sex marriage. Then there can be a reaction. The increasing appeal of fundamentalist religion and other forms of irrationality can spark a reaction in which rights will be taken away from homosexuals and possibly they will be slaughtered. American Christian fundamentalists have succeeding in persuading Uganda to have the death penalty for homosexuals.

The Enlightenment and the American and French Revolution sparked a drive to open the ghettoes of Europe and free Jews from persecution. The Nazi reaction was horrible.

It is right, decent and honourable for homosexuals to have complete human rights including marriage. However, after they get those rights we must struggle against those who would restore the prejudiced past.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 13 July 2010 3:20:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
To clarify my earlier comments,

I support gay marriage, and am an atheist, however, after disposing of Rudd, JG is unlikely to try any reforms that would engender any opposition.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 13 July 2010 7:52:01 AM
SM

This is one of the few occasions when we are sympatico. Julia has already exposed her throat to the religious fundamentalists by outing herself as atheist (for which I admire her), however that means any actions she makes on issues like gay marriage or eradicating religious instruction in public schools will be judged as a result of her atheism. Despite the fact that many religious people such as Otokonoko & Aka have demonstrated they have no issue for continued discrimination.

I agree with Pelican and others that it is only a matter of time before SSM will be legalised, particularly as Ludwig noted, there is no harm caused to others by gay marriage. Straights can continue to marry, breed, adopt children, divorce and whatever else they choose and so will homosexuals.
Posted by Severin, Tuesday, 13 July 2010 9:46:44 AM
the amount of intolerance to those who oppose what is a sick joke (ie 'gay' marriage) never ceases to amaze me. What a sick message we are sending out to an already confused youth.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 13 July 2010 9:58:01 AM
Runner "What a sick message we are sending out to an already confused youth."
Yeah, you'd rather continue sending out the message to youth that it is perfectly fine to discriminate against your fellow Australians just because they happen to be homosexual. Never mind that some of these young people might be homosexual and would be made guilty, or be forced to oppress their homosexual desires. These are the men who will get married despite their homosexuality, and then seek a homosexual love affair.

What do you think about Ludwig's post?
What is the harm to YOU, if same-sex couples marry?
Posted by Celivia, Tuesday, 13 July 2010 5:32:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. 15
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy