The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Howard's legacy, Julia's new spin > Comments

Howard's legacy, Julia's new spin : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 7/7/2010

How little John Howard learnt or understood from his time as PM. And Gillard, like Rudd, takes us for fools.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
We can only wait to see if Gillard does what she says, but at the moment she is at least listening to the electrorate; something that Rudd never did.

Whatever either Gillard or Rudd does, it must be in the best interests of Australia - nothing else.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 2:36:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For once I agree with Shadow Minister. Even more than her predecessor, Gillard is entirely poll-driven. Her government's only objective at this time is to get re-elected, and they'll abandon any semblance of principle to do it.

I agree even more with Grayzie - any "urgency" with respect to finding a "solution" to boat arrivals is confected, and both the Government and Opposition are to be condemned for playing to the lowest common denominator of the electorate.

As I've said before, I really hope this ill-conceived stunt backfires on the Gillard government.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 2:47:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Bruce,

Thank You for giving us another perspective
to a complex topic.

I'm not going to make any judgements at this
stage, as I believe it's still too early.
I'm going to wait and see what develops.
All I can do is hope that out of all this
decency will prevail.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 2:52:41 PM
Have a look at Andrew Bolt's blog today.

An Afghan who was accepted as a refugee, and now has Australian citizenship, RETURNS TO AFGHANISTAN ON HOLIDAYS AND TO VISIT HIS FAMILY 3 TIMES A YEAR.
Posted by Leigh, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 3:50:37 PM
"" they recycle John Howards Pacific Solution."

Well, it is better to have such a solution closer to the last-port-of-call-before-Australia than Nauru. It would be interesting to know how prospective-asylum-seekers get to Indonesia, though.
Posted by McReal, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 5:04:37 PM
yes, I think you're right Bruce - but they all take us for fools, not just Rudd and Gillard.

Trouble is, so many of us really are fools - even political commentators who've been round the block a few times fell for the Red Queen's rhetoric.

And even Andrew Bolt thought she was warm and direct!!

Though I understand he's got over it since she outlined the East Timor solution, mostly because he's miffed that she's plagiarised it from Howard.

Which just goes to prove that Gillard's particular brand of velveteen spin is even more insidious than her predecessor's.

I don't know where all this is taking us, but it can't be good.

Off with their heads!
Posted by briar rose, Wednesday, 7 July 2010 5:55:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy