The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Et tu, Julia > Comments

Et tu, Julia : Comments

By Matthew Lilley, published 29/6/2010

All Julia Gillard did for Australian women last week was prove that she can connive, lie, backstab and bitch with the best of them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Yabby - I and just about any feminist would too I think. That's the point of it - we are all more than just our sex; we all have the same characteristics, strengths and weaknesses in varying degrees.

However, that's why seeing a female voted in by the public, who also had the strength to change organizational culture, would have held more satisfaction for me. If this turns out to be just a female acting like a bloke in a skirt and perpetuating the same dominant values well nothing much will be gained. Mind you, I await with reservation to see how she goes. If we just end up with an Aussie Mrs. Thatcher then nothing much will have been accomplished because social justice issues will remain pretty much as are. I don't see a revolution occurring just because she is a woman - I am a default setting of wait-and-see.
Posted by Pynchme, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 10:39:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
pynchme,

'However, I always hope that feminism will change the ways in which organizations operate - the cut-throat go gettism; the selfishness and the notion that obtaining power justifies any means including opportunism and crushing people on the way.

My ideal would have been seeing a woman voted in; then working to change the organizational culture.'

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Have you listened to nothing I've said about power over the years on OLO. You really do believe women are somehow better people, and that men misbehaving in positions of power are doing so because of their gender, rather than the corrupting influence and necessary compromises.

I don't know whether it's comforting or scary that you are every bit as naive and misandrist as I thought you were.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 1 July 2010 9:07:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'If this turns out to be just a female acting like a bloke in a skirt'

How offensive. To men in general, to women and to Julia.

I believe she will act like a person, a human, in a position of power.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 1 July 2010 9:10:53 AM
*we are all more than just our sex; we all have the same characteristics, strengths and weaknesses in varying degrees.*

Hang on Pynchme, I would be surprised if Mrs Thatcher and JG
were not offended, for you thinking that they are not "real"
feminists.

You seem to be implying that what you would actually prefer
is somebody like Bob Brown in a skirt. That's not really
feminism but more just leftie green. Most of them have
big hearts but few of them can add up.
Posted by Yabby, Thursday, 1 July 2010 2:05:56 PM
Matt,all this just after a few days of her becoming PM.
Tut,tut!!
You small-minded anti-feminist.There must be other toys you can find to play with. Go away and do that and stop making a fool of yourself on national websites.
socratease
Posted by socratease, Thursday, 1 July 2010 4:48:57 PM
Houellebecq:

<"You really do believe women are somehow better people...">

Re: Will JG prove to be another Mrs. Thatcher <"... how offensive...">

If I thought that women were automatically better people I wouldn't be wondering about whether or not we have another Mrs. Thatcher/pseudo male.

Feminism is a philosophy and way of being that does not value the bloodletting to get ahead, especially for personal gain, such as we see in the prevailing system.

Perhaps you could be in less of a rush to use made up words like the idiotic "misandrist" and take more time to think through the issue in a logical fashion. As to being 'offended' - shame you weren't offended more often and for worthier causes.
Posted by Pynchme, Saturday, 3 July 2010 2:15:24 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy