The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gillard versus Abbott: does it really matter who wins? > Comments

Gillard versus Abbott: does it really matter who wins? : Comments

By Chris Lewis, published 30/6/2010

It is often public debate which shapes policy direction on many issues regardless of which party is in power.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Does it matter who wins,Gillard or Abbott?
Damn right it does.
We do not need religious fanatics making life decisions for us. Tony has to consult Benny 16 on all matters concerning women and family and what and how science can help the community. All those years in a seminary makes the Mad Monk a dangerous enemy.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Wednesday, 30 June 2010 9:39:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I would not vote for either Gillard or Abbott even if the political system we are saddled with allowed me to. Neither would lead the country in the directions I would wish. Although there are differences between them, the similarities are more significant:

Neither would work towards improving our political system to give us wider choices than those just the Labor and liberal parties offer.

Neither would withdraw Australian support for Israel, which encourages Israel's continual war-provoking activities.

Neither would immediately cease Australia's involvement in overseas wars.

Neither would distance Australia from the American alliance that keeps involving us in America's unnecessary wars.

Neither would end deliberate, continual inflation of our economy by around 3%p.a.

Neither would end government borrowing.

Neither would establish a bank along the lines of the Commonwealth bank the way it was when it provided loans at interest rates of around half of one percent.

Neither would end the ineffective war against illicit drugs.

Neither will allow us to choose voluntary euthanasia.

Neither would conduct a referendum before embarking on controversial action, such as importing Negroes as migrants into Australia.

etc. etc. etc.

My tiny, lonely little vote never seems to make any difference to who gets elected anyway so, although obviously it does matter who leads the country, there's not much I can do about it. Millions could say the same.
Posted by Forkes, Thursday, 1 July 2010 10:36:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Absolutely Chris and all- it most certainly does NOT matter much at all.
Both will likely pander to church interests as much as each other and likely forget issues like euthanasia, both will likely continue policies like the net filter until they really can't afford to.
I'd say Abbott is only slightly worse.

Having said that, not voting for Julia either- there are plenty of other parties, I'll be looking them up.

And what better time than now?
Posted by King Hazza, Thursday, 1 July 2010 3:32:53 PM
If EITHER side continues to try and prop up an unsustainable fiscal policy.. ie...spending more than we earn... we are in trouble.

We can only maintain our current life of plenty because of the mining and gas boom...Take those away and we are fiscal toast.

Then.... any crumb that falls from toaster will have to do.. because there won't be much bread for one and all.

NO CARBON "TRADING".. no no no..NO..no..NO NO...in fact..NOOOOOOOO!

Carbon "TRADING" will just make Labor, Bob Carr and any other opportunist who has big shareholdings in ENVEX very very rich..

They are just waiting with drool for those cap and TRADE "laws"...which will guarantee their villa in the south of france..the north of Qld and just about any other place they like.

NO.. did I say that ? no noooooo NOOOOOOOO carbon TRADING.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 1 July 2010 3:58:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Julia is marginally better than Kevin, but much better than Tony, who really isn't fit to hold a political leadership post.
I'll still be voting Green the way things are:
1) Internet filter is inevitable if either of the two majors get in.
2) The Greens get that prohibition has been a massive disaster. Only they have the courage to take on the criminal economy and end the police corruption and black economy.
3) The Greens respect science whilst the two majors like to refer to it selectively when it suits their arguments. It is not just the scientific disciplines either: An intelligent secular approach to thinking is far away from the cynical dogmatism of the religious Right. For instance, I doubt we would have joined the "coalition of willing war criminals" under the Greens until the "evidence" was substantiated. Mass murder should not be entered into as lightly as we did, nor brushed off as easily as we have done, especially when the evidence is so damming!
4) The two majors are running 80% of the same script, mysteriously synchronised with US and British...Hopefully the Greens will throw the lobbying and media spin professions into a spin and actually allow some reforms to be implemented. Currently there are very powerful interests that have a bit too much power within all western governments.
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 1 July 2010 4:05:53 PM
Agree Ozandy, no matter which way one can cut it, all of the policies or stances I am staunchly against are things strongly supported or guilty of being committed by both Liberal and Labor (and the Nationals and even the Democrats)- while Greens have staunchly in PRACTICE stood against them.
Posted by King Hazza, Thursday, 1 July 2010 9:18:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy