The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Scientists must not be muzzled > Comments

Scientists must not be muzzled : Comments

By David Dickson, published 15/6/2010

Four hundred years after Galileo, scientists still face persecution for speaking out.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I agree with the author’s position but wish he’d been a bit more even handed in the examples he chose, which suggest to me an ideological bias.

Mann’s recent threat to sue Minnesotans for Global Warming, forcing them to withdraw a satirical video about Mann’s dodgy methods, hardly makes him a poster child for free speech
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 2:44:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Here is a link to the satirical video:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/26/climate-scientist-heated-satire-threatens-lawsuit/

Thank you for that Rhian.

It illustrates again the need to be forever on guard against anything that limits free speech. You never know when it will be used against you.

Laws that limit free speech WILL be abused.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:01:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For anyone who believes Michael Mann has been treated unfairly, I recommend catching the 'Watts up with climate' Australian lecture tour where climate commentator Anthony Watts provides a jaw dropping explanation about the tree which gave Michael Mann the hockey stick. Venue details at www.climatesceptics.com.au. Failing that, google 'climategate' for a reality check (especially recommended for the author of this article) or read a good book like 'Hockey Stick Illusion'. Galileo must be turning in his grave.
Posted by CO2, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 4:18:06 PM
Yep, that's right, scientists should not be muzzled.

However, more than a few of them should be hung, drawn, & quartered, for lying to the public, & falsifying results, in the hope of gaining advantage.

No don't muzzle them, let everyone hear their screams. It might warn the rest of them we will not be so easy to con, in future.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 5:52:38 PM
Ozideas, that sounds double-plus good.
Posted by Clownfish, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 6:07:30 PM
Thanks for the link, stevenlmeyer

I didn’t actually intend to make Mann the issue. Though I happen to believe his work is shonky, the best place to resolve the question of the quality of his work is through academic scrutiny and peer review, not through the courts. Satire has it place, too, though!

Both sides in the climate change debate contain both victims and perpetrators of the attempt to silence or discredit opponent using inappropriate means, including legal action, trying to oust people from their jobs, etc.

An article that lists only opponents of GM and proponents of AGW as targets of malign litigation looks somewhat tendentious to me.
Posted by Rhian, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 7:24:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy