The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On the beach: selling Australia as a land or as a people > Comments

On the beach: selling Australia as a land or as a people : Comments

By Andrew Jakubowicz, published 11/6/2010

Neither the ALP nor the Coalition show much stomach for doing anything but beating up on cultural minority groups.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If…” cultural diversity (is) a critical component of social cohesion, creativity and productivity”, why is it that we don’t have social cohesion; what evidence is there that there is any creativity in diversity, and how is productivity in any way linked with diversity?

As for showing the umpteen different races that now infest Australia to attract tourists, people wanting to come to Australia – and their are fewer and fewer of them due to the strife that multiculturalism has brought us – look for something different from what they are used to: the enforced pollution of ‘diversity’ allowed by most gutless Western governments.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 11 June 2010 10:24:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The last major attempt in 2006 to attract foreigners used Lara Bingle to convince them that Australia was a place for drinking, sexual excitement, and unbridled self-indulgent fun."
Because those are the only fun things Australia has to offer- and having said that most people coming for those things might be in for a huge disappointment.
Multiculturalism probably WOULD sell pretty well for overseas tourists (especially for those in Asia might feeling a little more welcome and not-touristy). But a woman in a burqa strolling down Lakemba will most definitely turn everyone off (except other burqa'd tourists).
Come to think of it, it will be hard to advertise Australia's multiculturalism well- as all it is are a few far-western suburbs with a predominant ethnicity. BORING.

As for politicians- simply put, they're talking out of their rear end- all they know is that there is a large chunk of the population opposed in varying degrees to immigration, refugees and/or multiculturalism, and another chunk (with a few lobbies) that are strongly FOR it. The pollies are too lazy to want to put money into seeing precisely who they are, how many etc- so they make some lazy speeches that they hope would win 'both sides', using mostly stereotypes to work on.
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 11 June 2010 12:18:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=10540#173382

Leigh, spot on. Nobody wants to see millions of taxpayer's dollars wasted on "Immigration detention/Resorts".

We want to see a sensible Cost Effective Policy of filling all empty Qantas outgoing seats with boat people. They only should be detained, temporarily with hard labour, on chain gangs, ditch digging, until a flight out is available to them.

The same goes for all Muslims here now, regardless of how long they have been here or even if they are born here.

Get rid of them ASAP, but as cost effectively as possible, lets stop wasting taxes on these scum.

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=10540#173410

King Hazza, given your comments on a variety of topics, i have a couple of web pages that may appeal to you.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8630135369495797236#

http://www.reich4.de/Begriffe/sittlichkeit/?lang=en
Posted by Formersnag, Friday, 11 June 2010 12:59:05 PM
The central theme of the article that Australia should be a tourist mecca for multiculturalism tourists is silly and frivolous.

Just think for a moment, would anyone visit the UK to gawk at an revel in its 'multiculturalism'?

The French refer to 'Londonistan', does that attract French or other tourists from Europe and elsewhere, or do they all have their drop-dead, wondrous 'multiculturalism' highlights to satisfy their passion for it?

Again, would anyone visit Africa for its multiculturalism. Whoops, hold on a bit, a black monoculture rules OK because the liberal left said so. Hmmmm, maybe Afghanistan then, that should be a whizz as a multicultural destination, but then again maybe not.

However the article is really about the political correctness of diversity and multiculturalism in Australia isn't it, because how else could anyone ever rationalise making a few capitals with very obvious over-population and traffic problems a desired destination for visitors on holiday? Visit Sydney to sit in a traffic snarl and get holiday snaps of 'thriving diversity', yeah right!

While we are on the subject, what political party has ever campaigned on a 'Big Australia' or 'Diversity' as primary social goals? I support immigration and see some value in diversity but these are strategies only towards and should never be promoted as goals in themselves. Why put the cart before the horse and for whom?
Posted by Cornflower, Friday, 11 June 2010 1:03:31 PM
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=10540#173418

Cornflower, some net pages for you.

http://www.australiafirstparty.com.au/cms/

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8630135369495797236#

http://www.reich4.de/Begriffe/sittlichkeit/?lang=en
Posted by Formersnag, Friday, 11 June 2010 1:49:35 PM
I want to know what formersnag is on...it seems to be taking him well out there...somewhere.
Posted by Phil Matimein, Friday, 11 June 2010 3:13:26 PM
This writer has always had a chip on his shoulder about this sort of stuff. His comments about the token Asian, the token Koori kid, and then all the beautiful, fit white people, in the advertisement says it all.

He is suffering from some sort of envy-hatred deal towards Anglo's perhaps?

I would turn it back on to the writer...

Does he REALLY want to show the world what multicultural Australia is like? That, apart from the Europeans, it has been a dismal failure? We have Asians entering the medical professions in insane numbers yet none join vocations like the police, ambulance, fire brigade, i.e. all the vocations which show one has loyalty to his country.

Does he REALLY want the advertisement to say 'Come to Bankstown, or Cabramatta, the areas with most multiculturalism, and for some unknown reason, also the areas with the most violent crime, racist gangs based on ethnic affiliation - who ocassionally stab each other in front of horrified Anglo-Australians! Come on down!'

The writer is I think someone with racial issues on his mind. We will NEVER accept such cultures until they jettison their filthy tribal values and become Australian-Australians, like me - the son of a Dutchman.

Thank god so far the posts are normal! Mostly when I check, the same people, Steven Morgan is one, just post stuff showing me they must live on a different planet!
Posted by Benjam1n, Friday, 11 June 2010 3:31:17 PM
Where is the diversity in Bankstown anyway Andrew? In niqab and hijab colour or something?

It's ridiculous. We don't have multiculturalism. White Australians are driven out of the areas third world migrants move to because they are racist and bigots. Think about their values, then ours(think about how high our interacial marriage stats are - very high, and then look at theirs, non-existant almost).

It was the biggest mistake of all western governments, thankfully Europe is starting to wake up.

I see a day where as controversial as it is, we will pass laws that allow the government to strip citizenship of those even born here! I believe that there are so many Lebanese Muslims for example (if I was racist wouldn't I hate Leb Christians? But they fit in, live normally, and aren't leech on society) on dole, etc. if someone did a COST BENEFIT Analysis, when you take into account all the violent crime, welfare fraud, compensation, drug dealing, and ASIO watching them, it probably costs us 500K for every member of their community. In other words, it is stupid to have Muslim community.

Multiculturalism is stupid. Our values are heaps better - THAT IS WHY PEOPLE WANT TO LIVE HERE ANDREW.

It is SO simple. Aarrghhh! It makes me so angry. Muslims for example offer us very little. ASIO has tripled in budget to watch them (billions of dollars, probably 10 billion); welfare for Mohammed, his mistresses, and all their kids, elderly family reunion relatives (I would deport them instantly if I were PM); not to mention the compensation industry being DESTROYED by these people (I still remember NRMA getting in trouble a few years back for attempting to charge Lebanese Australians 5X more than anyone else, saying their ethnic group claim about 30 times more than any other - how sickening. Our great country is being ravaged by third world immoral racists who just want to take what they can get. They have no loyalty here. Or anywhere. They are stupid. They had to run from their country because they ruined it.
Posted by Benjam1n, Friday, 11 June 2010 3:40:15 PM
I observe that Mr "Multiculturalism" Jacubowitz has a strong interest in diluting any sense of white Austalian identity.

Seems he has read the *Bible* on the subject by one of his ideological kinsmen Noel Ignatiev...former Harvard Academic/historian who created the site 'Race Traitor' with the slogan "Treachery to the white race is loyalty to humanity"

QUOTE:
The white race consists of those who partake of the privileges of the white skin in this society. Its most wretched members share a status higher, in certain respects, than that of the most exalted persons excluded from it, in return for which they give their support to the system that degrades them.

The key to solving the social problems of our age is to abolish the white race. Until that task is accomplished, even partial reform will prove elusive, because white influence permeates every issue in U.S. society, whether domestic or foreign.
UNQUOTE.

Sooooo...it seems this is the thinking behind Mr Jacobowicz's article.

We are not 'multicultural' enough.. hmmm perhaps..just perhaps...it is because we actually have a sense of identity..and it closely coincides with the color of our skin and the language we speak.

Gee..I'm sure that horrible state of affairs has never happened in any other social/racial/cultural group in this world since time immemorial.

Perhaps Mr Jacobowicz real aim in criticizing our self promotion is to destroy that sense of self?

To 'destroy the white race' as a social construct?

Well.. Mr Jacobowicz...don't be suprised if 'white' people place your own ethno religious and economic/academic/political background under some scrutiny...and make as much a fuss of that..as you appear to want for ours.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 8:14:36 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
On the one hand Mr Jacobowicz is playing the 'cultural diversity/abolish the white race' card....but he also has a very narrow and specific 'ethno religious' focus on....his own very narrow and specific heritage and background.

The Menorah of Fang Bang Lu
http://www.cts01.hss.uts.edu.au/ShanghaiSite/splashpage.html

Hmmmmmm Ignatiev also shares this 'anti white' ethno/religious background.....

Any connection ?

I notice Mr Jacobowicz refers on that site to "Jewish families who lived in Shanghai in the 1940s"

I wonder what they were doing there ?

WIKIPEDIA
When the Treaty of Nanking opened up China to British traders, to the annoyance of the Chinese Emperor (Opium wars), Sassoon developed his textile operations into a profitable triangular trade: Indian yarn and opium were carried to China, where he bought goods which were sold in Britain, where he obtained Lancashire cotton products. He sent his son Elias David Sassoon to Canton, where he was the first Jewish trader

OH? ? ? ...textiles..and DRUGS ?

The Father David Sassoon.... India/Bombay
The Son..Elias David Sassoon... opened up the opium trade in competition with the Parsis...(Zoroastrians from Persia) but by

the 1860s that the Sassoons were able to lead the Baghdadi Jewish community in overtaking Parsi dominance. A particular opportunity was the American Civil War as Lancashire factories replaced American cotton imports with Sassoon's Indian cotton.

..and WAR...

Mr Jacobowicz.. please butt OUT of our Australian Identity.. don't try to change it or abolish it..keep your nose in your own affairs..they are not ours and ours are not yours.

Question of the day "Who's interests are served by destroying Australian Identity with 'cultural diversity' " ?
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 8:31:46 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think for multiculturalism to work there needs to be respect both ways...We cannot have a safe/sane society with mutually conflicting cultural values, so *some* sort of cultural adjustment should be expected from immigrants.
Having enclaves and many separate cultural ghettos is known to create issues, so we should not encourage this. There is a reason that Australian culture got wealthy and stayed that way. Some of it is luck, but most of it is subtle cultural attributes that lead to harmony and productivity. To allow these attributes (such as disrespect for "Authority" and taking the p*ss) to be diluted or derided in the name of "multiculturalism" is a silly race to the bottom of human potential. It is not racist to want to keep the aspects of our culture that made us great. I believe many are accused of racism when all they want is to maintain what they know is good about their home.
Allowing minorities too much power is as bad as allowing the majority to control minorities, and the impact of profit based lobbying needs to be curtailed.
BTW. Less tourist will come if we are portrayed as some sort of southern London. European tourists want Aussies, not the same multicultural soup they get back home, and Asians will go to Europe if they want European culture.
Posted by Ozandy, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 11:52:46 AM
OZANDY...

clearly you 'get' this whole MC debacle thing. YES mate.. you said it in one:

//We cannot have a safe/sane society with mutually conflicting cultural values//

The key word is..'CONFLICTING' abso-bladi-lutely..that's the key, core,central point of the whole thing.

But do you think Mr Jacobowicz sees that ? apparently not.. just look at his web site mate.

I maintain that no person from a definable community would willingly destroy that community..

I see 'white Aussies of Anglo/Celt/Irish/Scottish' background as a definable community. NOT a superior one.. but a definable one and also the preeminent/predominant one simply by virtue of history..coincidence.

We blended together quite well over the century or so.. and there was considerable intermarriage. The Catholic Protestant thing was a bit of a barrier, but that also faded.

CONFLICTING values is where I've been coming from in over 4000 posts.. one way or another.

Common sense says "Don't put ferret and rabbits together and hope for harmony"
"some" un-named posters believe that when a white person calls a black person a bad name.. "Black...name" it is racist.. but if a black person calls a white person "White...name" it is not.

I would not weep if such people were sent to the coldest gulag in Siberia :)
Making sure of course they were put with other dissidents who had 'conflicting' values to theirs *smile*

Having said all that.. we CAN accept and embrace people who share a basic set of values which are compatible with ours and I don't give two hoots about their color. I would care if there was a flood.. but a steady trickle is ok.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 1:22:50 PM
Yep, I'm all for hybrid vigour and beautiful children (ie. interracial mixing) but ferrets and rabbits cannot be caged together, as a rule!
Remember that we have had culture for many thousands of years, but only in the last 100 or so did we get "modern civilisation" which is largely based on discipline: maths begot science begot technology begot power and the ability to escape the historical norms of periodical starvation and perpetual fear.
So yes we *do* have the right to judge a cultural practice "primitive", "backwards" or even "barbaric" and exclude it from our country. This is not being a red-neck, it is maintaining standards. When we want to go to their countries then they will have the same option to judge us (as may occur in Asia soon!). So long as they want to join our party they should play by our rules...
Now the tricky bit: Who's rules? The Moral Minority that likes to pretend they are a majority? The loudest, most easily annoyed? the minority lobby groups? Should their instead be principles involved to avoid case by case arguments?
I guess what I'm getting at is: Who decides what common culture actually is? I believe the degree of cynicism on display from our politicians has made Australia a much more divisive and un-trusting place generally. This has not been helped by the "culture wars" and attempts to re-write history, nor a cynical and manipulative media owned by too few interests. How can we tell minority culture from lobbying?
Posted by Ozandy, Tuesday, 15 June 2010 3:31:47 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy