The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia’s ‘super’ mining tax > Comments

Australia’s ‘super’ mining tax : Comments

By Troy Schwensen, published 27/5/2010

The tax rate imposed by a government on mining projects matters a great deal when it comes to making investment decisions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
As a point of political interest:

In the great depression of the 20th century conservative governments in Britain, Australia, USA, all used the same recipe to contain or solve the financial depression, restrict government spending, dampen down the economy, slow down/cease bank loans.

These measures all resulted in, as is well known, massive unemployment, extreme poverty. A war, with its consequent massive government spending, was required to eventually solve the problem.

The Rudd government in the present financial depression increased government spending which, no matter how it is so badly/quite unfairly represented today, very quickly solved the problem.

The Howard/Costello partnership no doubt squirreled away a huge surplus but at what cost to the community infrastructure?

No government should have massive surpluses. Good government should aim for a minor negative balance.
Posted by Jack from Bicton, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 12:06:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think there is a lot of hysterical misplaced angst about this tax. Of course the miners are going to scream; they want the most profitable deal they can get. I find it amusing that two of the miners complaining loudly (ones in which I have shares) have yet to declare a profit or to post a dividend. I would rate their squeals more if they were likely to pay the super profits tax in the near future.

Remember there is nothing particularly noble about mining companies despite the economic benefits they claim to provide and if the current lot go, there will be those willing to take their place.
Posted by fancynancy, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 9:28:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well written fancynancy.
I also have bought mining shares in past years when I was young and foolish, not iron ore, coal, or gas, I might add, but little flutters on other metals. Must say I made more money from bank term deposits.

Quite a lot of miners out there will never make a profit so the super profits tax will never affect them.

I believe it can be safely stated that it will never directly affect the ordinary Australian working family, that is by directly applying the tax to their income, but of course will impinge indirectly on their finances by increased savings on their superannuation and by other infrastructure benefits.

The SPT would appear to be aimed at the huge conglomerates whose mining activities are on a world scale. A loss in a mine in this country is offset by a profit on a mine in that country, with really no other connection apart from the profit motive.
Posted by Jack from Bicton, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 11:20:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy