The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's elementary about Watson > Comments

It's elementary about Watson : Comments

By Nina Funnell, published 20/5/2010

Working towards and achieving a personal goal is a commendable act. Jessica Watson will inspire many young people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Good on her. Sure there may be risks, but the result is worth it.
Millions take similar risks every year by eating badly and never exercising. This behaviour has no reward yet the insurance industry ensures we all pay. That is just life in a more crowded world.
The corporate execs that continue to receive obscene "bonus" wages that are more than some peoples' lifetime earnings are also the recipients of public welfare...yes, the government used taxpayer funds to prevent (delay) the ponzi banks from collapse and this represents a huge gift from the people to a very few...I'd say the return on investment for Jessica's adventure is better for everyone.
I can't see this "youngest sailor" thing going any further though. Imagine a 14 year old going for it.
Posted by Ozandy, Thursday, 20 May 2010 8:52:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The problem here is that most people wouldn't know one end of a yacht from the other and most people have never been out in the ocean in a small craft. These people think that because Jessica had some electronic gear on board that Jessica took no risks, that because she had a backup team, she was always safe and really didn't do much. Nothing could be further from the truth.

She spent 7 months on her own having to deal with everything that the ocean threw at her and that was plenty. Storms, huge Southern Ocean swells, knockdowns were her lot. She had little sleep because of the fear of being run down by cargo ships, she had gear failures, she had moments of great fear when I'm sure she wished she was back safely at home. And she was sixteen, still a child!

So, to all the armchair knockers, let me say how mean-spirited you are and how ignorant you are. Jessica's achievement was remarkable and her statement that 'she wasn't a hero but just a girl who had a dream' elevates her far above her detractors.

We need more icons like her!
Posted by David G, Thursday, 20 May 2010 9:08:07 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jessica had a very good boat that was well fitted, and on most days it was probably safer than travelling in a car. Still, I have done solo sailing and I know that every move has to be thought through and planned out beforehand, because there is no one else to help.

She seems to know that. Well done Jessica.

Fantasique.
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 20 May 2010 9:37:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hear! Hear!

DavidG

You summed up my thoughts perfectly.
Posted by Severin, Thursday, 20 May 2010 9:50:55 AM
Nina,

I made a very similar point to the blogger you quote.
I would add that we in Australia have an almost primal need for sporting heroes at the expense of years real commitment those who work day after day doing the above and beyond for the good of others.
To me that is a far more worth while activity than self actualization dilettante actions of some young woman.

I am pleased for her sake but to describe her as a inspiration/role model et al is wishful thinking at best.

I challenge any one to prove that her actions will inspire any child who needs inspiring.
My experience at the coal face tells me that those who *need* inspiration won't get it from a girl who has exposure to yachts and expensive sailing lessons and a father who organised $600k sponsorship. The advantages Jessica has/had puts her beyond the reach of most. She's pretty, articulate, photogenic, well educated in an upwardly mobile family, those advantages alone preclude many of those who need inspiration.

She is a middle class parental warm and fuzzy aspiration for their daughters media hype but the children themselves....I'm not so convinced.

She is set for a career in endorsements and perhaps racing yachts. Just what we need! Another celebrity and perhaps an expensive gold medal.....meanwhile in the real world.....

In truth Those extra ordinary achievers will achieve against the odds. A true inspiration is someone who had to fight or work extra to get the *opportunity* to excel.

Good on Jessica for her self but inspiration to others …..I don't think so.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 20 May 2010 9:53:04 AM
Nina,
I also forgot to mention that it is accepted fact that the human brain judgement area, on average, doesn't mature untill around 25.
I put it to you that Jessica's actions were the cumulative result of opportunity, advantages and favourable genetics. All of which removes her from the realistic realms of the average and those who *need*
inspiration.

All the inspiration in the world won't compensate for the above trifecta if they are missing.

For example look at who gets the accolades/money/promotion then consider the the winners who don't.

Sorry but the world isn't as simple, straight forward as we choose to make media darlings.
Posted by examinator, Thursday, 20 May 2010 10:06:32 AM
Indeed Nina,

She will inspire many a young person to calculatingly put themselves in danger in order to reap the bounty of rewards that come with celebrity.

Her voyage was a wonderful PR victory in the creation of brand Jessica.

The wonderfully media scripted 'I am not a hero' really topped it off for me. Pure genius!

I look forward to forever younger sailors emulating Jessica, and I am personally starting to prepare my 6 year old for a voyage in 2 years time. Stay tuned!
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 20 May 2010 10:08:21 AM
Examinator

I am grateful that my 11 year old niece is here in this century to watch young women achieve the way Jessica has (and for that matter her older brother), there were no such inspirational youngsters such as Jessica Watson or even Jesse Martin in my teens. We spend far too much time rolling our eyes at youthful behaviour rather than endorsing the power, energy and determination of those like Jessica.

Inspirational?

Totally.
Posted by Severin, Thursday, 20 May 2010 10:11:05 AM
Our society had become risk adverse. Had our ancestors had the same inclination and not taken risks, we would still be waiting in Africa or snug in the bossom of mother england, not daring to sail too far from the sight of land, just in case that is where the world ended.

sure there are many valid POV. Our society celebrate people who achieve, the media tends to pay more attention to the sporting stars, but that is more about the quick fix for excitement than anything else.

where people like scientists, generally gain there achievements over decades. Not in a few moments on the sporting feild.
Posted by JamesH, Thursday, 20 May 2010 10:36:21 AM
What significance does this achievement have for society,the youngest to 'achieve' this, the oldest to 'achieve' that,the first person to climb Mt Everest with red hair--who cares? What a waste of cyber space.
Posted by mac, Thursday, 20 May 2010 2:27:45 PM
Mac, your comment didn't add much to human achievement either. Being a knocker is easy. Achieving something is much harder!

Cheers.

http://www.dangerouscreation.com
Posted by David G, Thursday, 20 May 2010 2:34:36 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For gods sake.

The kid went for a bit of a sail.

For those who don't understand it, the sail was a bit further than most, but no big deal. The main difference is she is young, & the trip was nonstop, solo.

At this moment there would be at least 5,000, & probably 15,000 people, some as young as a few months old, sailing around the world. May be the few month old ones are getting a bit of help.

Leave the kid alone to get on with her life.

If you must be nasty, don't buy anything she endorses.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 20 May 2010 2:54:35 PM
I think the knockers are just jealous that they can't do a round the world solo sailing trip.
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 20 May 2010 5:14:48 PM
David G,
I agree.

Severin,
Another subject we agree on. Its getting to be a habit, never used to be so.

Exaninator,
Do you commonly just make things up or assume without doing any fact finding?

You say she is well educated. Huh

You say in an upwardly mobile family. Well that could be correct if you consider living on a boat and in a caravan, for 5 years to be 'upwardly mobile'

Jessica's dad was a boiler maker and now sells real estate, so do you rate that as middle class.

Jessica has worked to get the abilities and experience to enable her to succeed at this venture.

Jessica has a yacht masters certificate, done a marine diesel course, a radio operators course, a Sea and Safety course and a first aid course. She has crewed a yacht sailing to some Antartic islands, has crewed yachts being delivered to various places, skippered a yacht to NZ and return. She teaches kids basic sailing and was extensively involved in the thorough preparation of this boat which was loaned to her. She also had to convince her sponsors of her ability. How many knockbacks from potential sponsors do you think she would have had?

Her quest has been well planned and her training for years to undertake the venture. This with her sailing ability, guts and determination is what made it successful.

I dont suppose that climbing Mt. Everest achieved anything for mankind either, but far more have done that than sailed solo around the world. Twice a year we hand out Australian Honours, many to academics and business people who do nothing more than the work they get paid to do.

Kay Cottee received many awards for doing this feat and so she should.

Jessica has done exactly the same, at a much younger age, so is entitled to receive the same accolades.

Some of you knockers should do a little homework before being so critical.
Posted by Banjo, Thursday, 20 May 2010 8:52:45 PM
David G,

Generally,the real value of an 'achievement' is whether or not it improves society in some way,this doesn't.Of course people have the right to do what they like as long as it's not detrimental to others,however this journey has no national significance whatsoever.

I'm waitng for any future Nobel prizewinners to be welcomed home by thousands of rapturous fans.

vanna,

I'd say given modern equipment and some luck, sailing solo around the world wouldn't be all that difficult for a young and fit person.On the other hand winning the Nobel Prize is somewhat more difficult.

I'll admit some respect for the first person to sail solo around the world which, I think, was in the 1890s,no prize for seconds.
Posted by mac, Friday, 21 May 2010 8:30:39 AM
Banjo

Loved your informative post. Yeah, we are agreeing way too much. Don't panic, we'll cross swords on immigration or AGW at some point. But one thing I have learned from you and Hasbeen, all because of Jessica Watson, you both have revealed yourselves as sincere and genuine people. You do not post on OLO merely to provoke.

I respect that.
Posted by Severin, Friday, 21 May 2010 8:49:47 AM
Mac,
I've been in seas where the waves were higher than the top spreaders, but that was with other crew.

Jessica did have a very good boat, and also an extraordinary amount of courage, and very good skills that would have taken much dedication to develop.

Everyone to their own.
Posted by vanna, Friday, 21 May 2010 9:09:35 AM
mac,
Did not the current US President get awarded the Nobel Prize for peace after only a short time in office?

How difficult is it to obtain a Nobel Prize?
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 21 May 2010 9:35:58 AM
vanna,

Somewhat higher than my experience in 14 footers,however, my argument, originally,was the significance of any journey or performance,not just the skill or courage involved.For example I'm impressed by the courage of dissenters in totalitarian countries,their ordeals have some significance for the rest of us.

Banjo,

Agreed. I should have specified a Nobel prize for science or literature,or any significant scientific discovery or work of art.
Posted by mac, Friday, 21 May 2010 10:27:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy