The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Slaves to the system - do international students have rights? > Comments

Slaves to the system - do international students have rights? : Comments

By Wesa Chau, published 19/5/2010

Australia has a funny way of treating its honoured guests and trade lynchpin - international students.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Please excuse my ignorance but how & why do students from countries with a supposedly lower currency than Australia come here to study ? Would not the lower currency take them a lot further in their own or ever lower currency countries ?
Or is it as Michael in Adelaide suspects that these students will be granted residency here.
it certainly makes more sense. I believe there is some agenda because why else would the australian education system lower it's standards for Australians but enhance it for potential migrants.
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 7:54:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,

Not sure what you mean by lower currencies to the Aussie dollar? Many Asian currencies have appreciated against ours over the past few decades. Unless you are thinking that say because it takes say more Yen to buy a unit of Australian curreny. If so, it doesn't work that way. Back in 1966, ten shillings became one dollar. It could just easily been five shilings or a pound. In which case the relativities would now be different.
Posted by Oliver, Thursday, 20 May 2010 7:06:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am sorry...
Is this article arguing that because Australia sets conditions on student visas that are not the same as full working visas (ie that actual study, not full-time work be involved) that we are somehow in breach of our international obligations?
And that students who come to Australia on a student visa, and who know and accept that there is a limit of 20 hours of paid work under that scheme but who choose to break the visa conditions that they are here under (not to mention the tax fraud that is also taking place) are actually being discriminated against?
Now, I feel for some of these people and know some myself. I abhor any exploitation of them. But they come here as students, they know the rules, and the ones I know do it principally in the hope of landing that ever elusive PR. If they wish (or need) to break the rules, they take the risk.
Posted by J S Mill, Friday, 21 May 2010 5:57:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy