The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Populate or perish? > Comments

Populate or perish? : Comments

By Richard Denniss, published 5/5/2010

Some proponents of rapid population growth do rely on more nuanced economic arguments than simply saying bigger is better.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
One aspect that is persistently ignored in the skilled migration debate is that of justice.
Skilled migrants get visas on the basis of their skills; there is no follow up research to show that they actually get employed in their skill areas. (For many years I worked to get skilled migrants into employment - on average I estimate that fewer than 20% are actually employed in their skill area.) If Australia invites people to come here to work and gives them visas on the basis of those skills then natural justice would suggest that we have an obligation to get them into a job.
On the flip side of the coin we need to acknowledge that many skilled migrants come from underdeveloped countries; countries where those skills are in high demand - if we are really serious about making poverty history then we would not be plundering developing nations - they need those skilled people to build up their economy.
The final point that needs to be made is that skilled migration makes governments lazy; no need to plan for the future, no need to ensure that there is training to meet future needs after all if we run short we can always go overseas for our skills.
People concerned about population might like to visit this site and join up:http://www.stoppopulationgrowthnow.com/
Posted by BAYGON, Thursday, 6 May 2010 4:58:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too Late, the horse has bolted . It won’t matter how much we discuss it or point out the inevitable down side of the long term effects of overpopulation.

Politicians depend on the economy being good to get voted back into power . That means it is the voting public who would have to become less dependant on a consumer lifestyle and be content with the quality of life instead of the quantity. Then they wouldn’t elect politicians based on the hip pocket nerve as is always said.

As the city I live in has become bigger and bigger the car accidents have become more and more frequent as a result of all the extra cars on the roads resulting in less room for error. We now have to pay for the water we use which was never an issue when I grew up because the population was too low to consume the abundant water we had. Crime also increases dramatically.

I once read that the our society is like a little red mini minor car racing headlong down the road with a huge boulder tied behind it on a rope and up ahead is a huge brick wall.

I really don’t think any thing will be done to change things until we hit that wall however far down the track it is. Judging by the population growth in this country in just over two hundered years since the British Fleet arrived it might not take as long as we think in terms of centuries. I pity the generations to come who will have to deal with it.
Posted by CHERFUL, Thursday, 6 May 2010 8:48:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy