The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Involvement key to supporting Indigenous communities > Comments

Involvement key to supporting Indigenous communities : Comments

By Natalie Hunter, published 28/4/2010

Involving the Indigenous community is vital to ensure Aboriginal children can remain in their homes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Skeptic & Suzeonline,
I can tell from experience that both of you speak from experience & what both you stated is undeniable fact. Therein lies the dilemma.
Posted by individual, Friday, 30 April 2010 6:06:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Natalie,darlin'
The aborininal community want compensation because they lost possession of their land?
That was over 600 odd years ago,dear.The people who occupied or captured the land you have in mind are all dead and buried. They should pay the compensation to those who survived. It's all long since gone,you poor thing.Your descendants have been getting paid compensation for hundreds of years. How much longer does this have to go on? Is there any end in sight?

Most Australians today were born abroad and had nothing to do with the killing and capture of your land. I for one dont feel i owe you a tinker's fart.

socratease
Posted by socratease, Saturday, 1 May 2010 12:51:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
socratease,
you are hilarious, I hope you are not a history teacher lol. 600 years, how hilarious. Hmm, and you go around valuing tinkers farts I presume.

You state that "Most Australians today were born abroad and had nothing to do with the killing and capture of your land. I for one dont feel i owe you a tinker's fart."

What you fail to recognise is that you directly benifit from this brutal dispossession.

I don't care when you decided to abandon your country, but until a year ago, some of these brutal murders occurred in living memory in our region. It is possible that there are still a few oldies around who are able to recall one particular event when a family group was wiped out, with only 1 survivor.

See if you can find the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Women's Taskforce on Violence report in your library or online and you will see some of the shocking events that happened in the early 1970's. Hardly 600 years
Posted by Aka, Saturday, 1 May 2010 12:55:35 PM
The Maoris also seek compensation even though they ate some of their predecessors.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 1 May 2010 1:40:20 PM
suzeonline,

Your practical experiences tally with what I have observed.

You are not alone in your assessment, my recollection is that Neville Pearson has said similar things about education. He added that through education he was able to move into a middle class suburb where he was able to shed his family of the extended relatives who come to stay and are a threat to his children.

Keep it up, OLO is often long on idealism and advocacy, but painfully short on practical experience and independent advice.
Posted by Cornflower, Saturday, 1 May 2010 3:12:27 PM
Thanks Cornflower, but I don't think many people want to hear my ideas because they are not always very politically correct when it comes to discussions on Indigenous Australians.

I went through a hard time when I worked in that area, and am still suffering the consequences.
Maybe I am too discouraged to give any really helpful ideas.
Posted by suzeonline, Sunday, 2 May 2010 12:59:14 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy