The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > All in the mind: Asian strategy and Australian big talk > Comments

All in the mind: Asian strategy and Australian big talk : Comments

By Warren Reed, published 24/3/2010

Indonesia's reaction to Rudd's Asia plan? In plain English, 'Butt out!' but said with customary exquisite tact and politeness.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
An excellent article.

But task must be taken with author's insinuation that Rudd might stoop to jobs for past-it masters.

Woolcott's Indonesian (an important language indeed) proved masterful in the many mid 70's diplomatic conversations with that close confidant General Benni Murdani (the Butcher of East Timor).

That Woolcott's portrait hangs in the National Portrait Gallery in squeaky Canberra is no indicator of favouratism.

At the inauguration of Rudd's Asia Pacific Vision, ABC's Monica Attard held a timely interview http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2008/06/13/2274013.htm:

"MONICA ATTARD: Yes of course, now you were offered the post only, well according to one report two hours, according to another report five hours before Kevin Rudd announced his idea of a mega Asia Pacific community. Whatever it was, I assume that this has been an idea that the two of you have discussed before?

RICHARD WOOLCOTT: Well I was secretary of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade when Kevin Rudd was a member of that department.

MONICA ATTARD: You were his boss indeed.

RICHARD WOOLCOTT: Well yes, well now he's mine but,..."

There is no Ye Olde boy/girl system. All must be based on merit.

And speaking for all taxpayers, we take pleasure in funding appreciative Kevie's mates, around and around the world forever.
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 24 March 2010 11:12:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes,very informative article. Surely the PM, of all people, should understand,Asians are now seting their own agendas and Australians are the ones who have to adapt.Obviously the rewards are worth the effort. Asian studies were expanding in the early 90s, what went wrong,the usual Oz apathy prevailed perhaps?
Posted by mac, Wednesday, 24 March 2010 12:48:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting argument.
I would suggest that Rudd would have done better to consult widely first.
As presented he is rightly vulnerable to claims of 'bull at a gate' or arrogance. Certainly from a non European perspective.

I would suggest the dropping of Asian languages and culture in the 90's is/was a by-product of the ascendancy of our ever present Eurocentric conservatism
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 24 March 2010 2:10:49 PM
I expected KRudd to make an ass of himself and he has not disappointed.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 24 March 2010 10:17:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy