The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > I'm quite contrary about Our Mary > Comments

I'm quite contrary about Our Mary : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 18/10/2005

Greg Barns inquires why there is all the fuss about the Tassie girl, the Danish lad and their firstborn?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I enjoyed, and agreed with Greg Barn's comments on the Danish Royal Family.

If I had my way, such archaic and out-dated institutions such as the Danish Royal family would no longer exist.
Posted by Cheazor, Thursday, 20 October 2005 2:43:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cheazor

I look forward to your revolution to rid the world of royalty and then watching you distribute the crown riches to the poorest in society.

Of course, the Danish people might not be so happy for some malcontent in Australia to waltz into their country telling their royals to sod off.

But, you know best about these despicable, (yet benign) European monarchies, which probably impact you very little with their wicked privileged ways.

Off with their heads!

t.u.s.
Posted by the usual suspect, Friday, 21 October 2005 12:41:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tsk Tsk tus

"Off with there heads" is incitement against ones Head of State. You're very very naughty.

Ever since our Queen's 4 bears arrived from Germany (George I) they have presided over their British subjects (and Loyal Aussies) in a most benign manner.

Liz and Phil are, in fact, Britains No.1 tourist exhibits. Their services to tabloid jounalism are immense. Dark anarchists may see them as the Opiate of the Masses.

But this is misleading. As Defenders of the Faith masses have long been verboten and tis only in the last 300 years that the Pope's loyal subjects have been tolerated.

So as a Surreal Royalist ("Monarchists" are liberal wets) I can't wait for Queen Camilla I to preside and King William V (the "Hammer of the Nails") to return the ghost of Diana to the stage.
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 21 October 2005 2:21:09 PM
Cheazor "If I had my way, such archaic and out-dated institutions such as the Danish Royal family would no longer exist. "

For you to have "your way" you would need to be recognised as being blessed with the "Divine Right of Kings"

"Irony", as a source of humour, is much underrated.
Posted by Col Rouge, Saturday, 22 October 2005 7:27:26 AM
Fellow posters will know I am a committed republican and developer of the Honorary President Republican Model (see http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~dlatimer/honpres/) and member of the Copernican Group (see http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=3703)

I don't think this article does the republican movement any favours, for several reasons:

1. the Danish constitution is a matter for the Danish people.

2. the gifts also help to build Australian-Danish relations and that is supportable regardless of the republican-monarchist debate.

3. the continuation of the Danish monarchy does not affect the issues of substance which drive the republican cause. If anything it reminds Australians that we are deserving of our own Head of State.

4. an Australian becoming a Danish princess is always going interest people and this interest is genuine and heartfelt. My republican model supports the idea of an Australian Head of State, above politics and having a genuine connection with the people.
Posted by David Latimer, Monday, 24 October 2005 12:31:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David

I've looked at your well organised Honorary President (HP) Model hotlink. The model looks unthreatening enough to be a viable and positive step.

One attraction of the HP model is that its positive rather than being anti-royal (or rubbishing the past).

So advocacy for the HP model is not inconsistent with respecting the goodwill some Royals have generated over the years eg the Queen (generally) and obviously Mary now.

Having an Australian as HP would mean much more to so many than having an unelected English person.

Just like to add unnecessarily that young Fred is a very, very lucky guy.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 24 October 2005 1:30:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy