The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Threatened by gays > Comments

Threatened by gays : Comments

By Shane Ogden, published 16/3/2010

Tony Abbott has fessed up and admitted, honestly, that he feels threatened by homosexuals.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All
I don't think that Tony Abbott is alone
in feeling threatened by gays. And to that end,
according to quite a few websites that I've
scrawled on the subject, they all seem to agree
that, Australia needs a national law prohibiting
discrimination on the grounds of sexuality and
gender identity.

As one website stated, "The Opposition Leader
can show leadership on this issue by publicly
committing the Coalition to support Federal
Anti-Discrimination Laws on the basis of
sexual orientation and gender identity."

However, I don't think that this will happen.
Mr Abbott is a devout Catholic and a practising
one. For him to separate his private belief
from his public office I imagine would be
extremely difficult.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 7:49:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ngarmada, plenty of potential for skepticism. What I don't like is the politically motivated attempts to portray opposing views in the worst light.

I made it clear in my earlier post that I'm undecided about Abbott, his expression of "honest" views could mask much darker views but repeated beat up's by his opponents based on flimsy pretexts will do little except comfort those who already strongly dislike Abbott and leave the rest wondering how much of what we have been told about him by his opponents over the years is true.

If he is as bad as he is made out to be he will give himself away, the trick for you and others who feel threatened by him is to ensure that everyone else is not so tired of hearing you shout "wolf, wolf" when he does that it looks like another beat up.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 8:03:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Politicians, alike Abbott, do not phase me RObert. I apply professional management critical analysis, and therefore ensure I am able to qualify my position before I comment. That allows me the advantage to disregard beat ups, and retain only contempt for ‘tricks.’ For noone may retain confidence in your viewpoint, if you do not apply integrity to reasoned and rational depth to debate.
Posted by Ngarmada, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 8:29:39 PM
Further, to the context of this article, the threat is not what Abbott is perceived to be, it is what he represents, and who he represents if he becomes PM. It is that assessment this article is speaking to, I concur is an important public debate. Alike every other poster, I am simply attempting to ensure the debate is not diverted with distracting information. Nothing personal RObert.
Posted by Ngarmada, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 8:40:23 PM
Ngaramda
I did not present as being 'confident' in back room nudge nudge wink winks as you put it, but merely relayed something from the program that may provide a reason (not an excuse) for Abbott's comments.

While your cynicism is understandable your comments about intelligent thinking and credibility is only undermined by your superiority complex.

It is not about politician's changing their views in the constant ebb and tide of opinion and electioneering, this is standard, but how they manage their personal biases or religiosity with policy objectives.

Politicians are human and there is no reason to assume what someone believed at 20 is where they end up. The continual emphasis over Abbott's comments is they distract from the big picture. Hopefully we are all mature enough to confine ourselves to policy objectives and ideology (what is left of it) rather than celebrity style media beat ups.

While not a Coalition supporter I do prefer the more honest style of Abbott than the contrived, bureaucratic insincerity of Rudd.
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 10:05:12 PM
I agree with Foxy on this subject- Abbott originally trained to be a priest, and as such would have had an extremely conservative, bible-inspired, Catholic ideas to have even thought of that career pathway.

There is no way that such a man can ever completely separate his religious views from his political views.

I have no doubt at all that he feels 'threatened by gays' because he was conditioned to believe that they will burn in the fires of hell for their extreme sins in the ways they express their sexuality.

Tony Abbott should never be allowed to run this country, and I only believe he has got this far by supposedly changing his views on subjects such as abortion, single mothers, virginity and maternity leave.
A leopard never changes it's spots.
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 10:14:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy