The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Major change is needed if the IPCC hopes to survive > Comments

Major change is needed if the IPCC hopes to survive : Comments

By Roger Pielke, published 3/3/2010

Well before recent controversies, the work of the IPCC was marred by an unwillingness to listen to dissenting points of view.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
It seems qancka hasn't read your post Horus, and reacts with a tantrum, like what he falsely accuses Roger of throwing in the first. A fine article and a merciful recommendation, especially considering the treatment he has received from Rachunder Pauchari and the IPCC, and the inherent corruption.
Posted by whitmus, Saturday, 6 March 2010 8:51:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Qanka,

About glaciers and fraud: correct me if I'm wrong, but I learnt that adiabatic temperature falls about one degree F for every three hundred feet increase in altitude.

Himalayan glaciers reach down to what ? 10,000 feet ? and are formed as high as 18-20,000 feet ? I'm sure I'm wrong on the details but you get the drift: that as temperatures rise generally one degree F, including in the Himalayan region, glaciers there would retreat 300 feet in altitude. At that rate, a temperature rise of around 25 to 30 degrees F would be necessary to melt all the glaciers in the Himalayas. The IPCC claimed that those glaciers would all be gone by 2035, 25 years from now (requiring a warming rate of one degree per year. Even if my figures are a bit shonky, glacial extinction is clearly 300-500 years away if the world does nothing about AGW - that's if the IPCC's warming claims are accurate.

But what do I know ? Not much, but enough not to put my money on the IPCC.
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 7 March 2010 11:26:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mouth
They're not all going to melt away anytime soon - but you knew that.
Look over there ... another IPCC spelling mistake (joke)
Posted by qanda, Sunday, 7 March 2010 11:44:36 AM
Spelling mistake ? Misplacement of the odd digit ? My point is, who - out of the thousands of climate scientists allied to the IPCC - checked the calculations ? If all the Himalayan glaciers were to melt in the next thirty-odd years, don't you think that some scientists would have double-checked the data ? 25 years - the implications of which would be truly horrendous for Asian economies - or 350 years or whatever, and nobody checked ?

If somebody claimed, say, that sea-levels would rise, not half a metre in the next fifty years, but ten metres, or if somebody claimed that surface temperatures were to rise not one degree in the next fifty years but fifteen degrees, wouldn't you expect someone to check, perhaps an undergraduate oceanography or meteorology student ? I guess they would have more expertise than Mr Pachauri, so why wouldn't they be put to work checking such horrendous predictions ?

This has all been a valuable lesson (Popper-wise) in teaching us that we should always check our data, even - especially - if they seem favourable to our own hypotheses.
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 7 March 2010 2:37:23 PM
You sound like Mr Faulty, Loudmouth.
I understood your point.
You apparently not mine.
Yes, we know ... and we are.
Posted by qanda, Sunday, 7 March 2010 5:29:24 PM
Let me be more clear ... Fawlty.
Posted by qanda, Monday, 8 March 2010 9:22:12 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy