The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How can community democracy be strengthened in your local area? > Comments

How can community democracy be strengthened in your local area? : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 23/2/2010

To foster community democracy we need to create physical and social environments that encourage people to interact with one another.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Thanks for having reminded me of this forum, Forrest Gumpp.

I can see how the issues that Kellie Tranter has raised would attract a lot of interest from around the globe and not just in Australia.

---

I agree that the Swiss have a democratic right to ban the construction of more minarets. To me it seems a roundabout way of pre-empting their becoming demographically overwhelmed by non-native cultures.

Why on earth, would Switzerland, with a stable native population, need more minarets, that is unless there is a real prospect that numbers of non-native residents are likely to grow relative to the native population?

Curiously, tonight on ABC TV's "Foreign Correspondent" (http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2009/s2848813.htm) There is a show which seemingly welcomes and celebrates the anticipated overwhelming of the current native population of the US with Hispanic immigration, both legal and illegal.

The current residents of the US were never asked whether or not they would be happy to become an impoverished minority in their own country.

It's curious that President George W Bush, the same criminal warmonger who has killed well over one million in Central Asia and the Middle East by launching aggressive wars, based on the lie of 9/11, has also further opened the floodgates of immigration that is causing the further impoverishment of his own people.

Of course Rudd is attempting the same for no coherent logical stated reason attempting to do the same to this country.

The real and unstated reason is, of course, that a selfish greedy minority stand to gain through population-growth-driven land speculation at the expense of the rest of this society and its future.

---

If Pericles agrees that 9/11 has allowed politicians to "get away" with so many decisions that are completely contrary to our best interests, then it is time that he began to look more objectively than he has thus far at the evidence against what we have been told by our governments of 9/11, for example in the forums "Australia, Afghanistan and three unanswered questions" at http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=10034&page=20 "JFK.E Howard Hunt Ex CIA, Accuses LBJ" at http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=3330&page=29
Posted by daggett, Tuesday, 23 March 2010 12:26:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Community Engagement: A question? An essay worthy is a tough one investigating 'Policies of Alienation'.

I would look at organisation's that are suppose to engage directly with the public in civic ways. Among these polices I would start with clinical narrow polices such as one directed at community workers, including NGO's that stipulate that their staff are not to mix with the public they meet through their organisation outside work hours. Ie; Classifying these people as "clients".

I would look at the walls being put up everywhere that undermine the 'goodwill' and 'spirit' of community and show how we are becoming increasingly a society of "Us and Them".

Other policies I would attack are those where public service and NGO staff phone you, text you or send you emails and don't leave their names. I would attack the breakdown in "two-way" community communication principles and show how this facade lacks face. Is based on a loop-sided-artificial deceptive front whereby the 'so called' client, being a civic person speaking to another who is paid/funded by the tax-payer a) is apparently obligated to reveal their details for ID purposes yet b] the staffer is able to hide behind a screen called the public service or NGO, nameless.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache%3A54cUpR3eg5QJ%3Awww.getinvolved.qld.gov.au%2Fassets%2Fpdfs%2Fbrisbane_declaration.pdf%2BUnited%2BNations%2BBrisbane%2BCommunity%2BEngagement%2BDeclaration&hl=en&gl=au

The politics of alienation is abstruse, as it is subtle and elusive. My concern is that this has become a power play. It disappoints me that NGO's today have joined this practice as if they too have become the "authorities". The balance is an imbalance undermining civic life in reality. ie: You can see these polices divide small towns and, you can see how that dilates across a "whole" infecting all integrated sectors of the national community.

These indices are suggestive. Just one where barriers build hindering 'human potential, fostering healthy relationships based on mutual understanding, trust and respect, facilitating the sharing of responsibilities, to create more inclusive and sustainable communities'. Instead these polices produce the growth of stigma/labels and discrimination. A form of cultural degeneration dividing society before we even begin considering class or equity under capitalism, in a modern technologcial sense.

http://www.miacat.com/
Posted by miacat, Sunday, 28 March 2010 12:59:13 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy