The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gastric banding and the obesity 'industry' > Comments

Gastric banding and the obesity 'industry' : Comments

By Sarah McMahon, published 19/2/2010

Promoting gastric banding to 14-year-olds means malnutrition and maintenance on the menu.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
pushing gastric banding also allows society and the "experts" to avoid confronting the powerful manufactured and processed foods industry and also avoid confronting the dimension inequality and poverty brings to a lack of access to organised sporting opportunities, good neighbourhoods with excellend facilities and excellent diet opportunities. I know as a pensioenr the struggles I go through to eat properly and I don't have my own home or money put away.
Posted by Inner-Sydney based transsexual, indigent outcast progeny of merchant family, Saturday, 20 February 2010 6:11:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Polly: Australian country townspeople in NSW back in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's [my origins] were primarily avid sporting people; most of whom 'expected' their children to play sport every week and physical activities during school weeks.

My siblings and self all played sport on weekends and activities during the week. The same situation for most of the 60,000 population taking in the surrounding country towns; the Riverina, which btw, produced its fair share of national 'sporting greats' in both football and cricket.

Australia being a newer smaller country back then was incomparable to the UK during that era. Factually, Australian country cities and towns encourage and expect their children to participate in regular continual sporting activities and physical exercise; and most children do at the primary school levels and through the early high school years.

It is my belief that genetics play a large part in weight gain for many children and adults also. There are members in my extended families with genetic history regarding weight gain despite eating healthily and exercising regularly.

For any person considering gastric banding [I read people's stories a long time ago on the net]; there are both successes and problems. I gather from the stories read, that it is an individual case by case situation. I decided to lose the weight I'd gained over a two year period naturally. 27-30 kilo weight loss back in 2003.

Smaller portions 'served in a bowl', eliminating white products eg no white pasta, white rice or sauces,no desserts, cakes or slices. The sweet side was easier as my children have never enjoyed cakes/slices/biscuits or junk food. I ceased purchasing these items to date.

Increasing fibre daily with exercise, was the 'key' to push that fat right out the door and lock the door forevermore!

If any person [with or without back problems] seeks tips and advice regarding my weight loss, please pop in a post application on OLO and I will be delighted to try and assist you with the type of exercises and food intake to lose significant weight and keep it off easily.
Posted by we are unique, Sunday, 21 February 2010 1:21:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Given the explosion in child hood obesity and the appearance of type II diabetes in children (unheard of until recently) we are looking at the next generation having a shorter life expectancy than ours.

While gastric banding (GB) is intrusive and unpleasant, the alternatives are also dire. A teen with type II diabetes is not expected to live past his 40s, and even then with extreme lifestyle restrictions. (not when johnny gets a little plump)

GB is typically recommended for those morbidly obese with a BMI of 40 or greater, who are looking down the barrel of diabetes and heart disease. I know 2 people that have had GB, and while neither are enthralled with the side effects, they are at least confident of seeing their children grow up.

Rather than looking at GB as cosmetic, rather compare it mentally to chemotherapy. It is unpleasant, but the alternative is far worse.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 22 February 2010 7:28:15 AM
Seeing the Lighter Side of Overweight

Says a doctor to her patient: "You'll lose weight on any strict diet, but it's mostly water…. from crying."

Though sustainable and healthy weight loss can only be achieved on the foundations of a wholesome diet and lifestyle, it certainly is no reason for crying.

The old adage that all you need to do to lose weight is reduce the number of calories you consume - i.e. EAT LESS - is being questioned. This old way of thinking also implies that the overweight person simply lacks the discipline to lose weight. However, research suggests that at least part of the reason for our constant food cravings is our body's cry for nutrition. Thus, far from giving you another food-related guilt trip, eating nutritious (and ‘yummy’) foods will put you on track to a healthier body.

This is because it's what you eat, rather than how much you eat (o.k….. within reason) that is decisive for successful weight management.

The weight-loss industry is experiencing phenomenal growth, and diet veterans will be aware of the abundance of options available to them. Commercial diet programs or surgical means of losing weight can be invaluable stepping stones on the way to a healthier body. Everyone’s journey is unique.

However, there comes a time to ask: Has the path I have been following equipped me with workable strategies to live a healthy life? Have I been empowered or is life-long attachment to the system I have chosen required for me to stay on track?

Weight-loss education is an often overlooked aspect of conventional weight-loss programs. Learning about the dysregulated biological mechanisms underlying our weight concerns and understanding how to restore the balance may well prove to be the missing link that has made sustainable weight control so elusive.
Posted by Gabriela, Monday, 1 March 2010 9:57:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy