The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Armed Police in Remote Communities

Armed Police in Remote Communities

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Belly,

I've been told by a long-term health expert in the Kimberley that, at one school, when the principal was asked if there were any kids in his school who he suspected of having FAS, replied, "About 90 %."

I should spell that out: ninety per cent. Some settlements must seem like the craziest of mad-houses. especially on pension day. Of course, those poor buggers have not just violent lives but very short ones.

Only racists would tolerate their continuation in their present form or attempt to cover it up, but clearly reducing services is not an option, given that police are obviously required, perhaps in many more settlements and in much bigger numbers, since some settlements don't see a copper for months. Christ knows what some FAS victims get up to in the meantime.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Wednesday, 20 November 2019 4:36:45 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy.

"See you on another discussion"

Don't tell us that you are not going to give us the benefit of your wisdom and undoubted vast experience and not tell us how the police can avoid shooting someone who is unlawfully attacking them?

As the bullets whiz by their heads, should they reason with the assailant(s)?

What would be a good opening line apart from BANG?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 20 November 2019 6:53:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Only people who have lived in these places can understand the level of violence that exists there. Even worse, is taken for normal by the residents.
Posted by Big Nana, Wednesday, 20 November 2019 7:53:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Is Mise,

What pompous rot.

The reason why it is unlikely in the near future that we will be able to have unarmed regular policing is because of the type of society we are so busily creating, one where inequity and a stripping away of social justice is rife and encouraged by the likes of you.

Any rational person would want the type of governance which reduced our prison populations and would be willing to spend the required amount on social services to achieve it.

This in turn would reduce crime and violence and therefore the need to universally weaponise our police forces.

I will be honest, if I was confronted with a psychotic person intent on self harm I would now think twice about getting the police involved. Being mentally ill should not mean a death sentence but I struggle to be confident that our state police would have the required skill set to prevent lethal force being used.

Now it might stir your loins to think the best response would be to go bang but it isn't the kind of society I would hope to see flourish in this country.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 20 November 2019 8:08:58 PM
Steele,

Glad that you could drop by, perhaps you can tell us what the police should do when being attacked with lethal force?

Foxy says that it's never OK to kill, what do you think?

Should a policeman fire at someone who is apparently intent on killing him?

How are you coping with Psychology 101, tough going?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 20 November 2019 8:54:55 PM
Dear Is Mise,

You asked; "you can tell us what the police should do when being attacked with lethal force?"

Sure, they should employ techniques and protocols which inform the UK, NZ and Japanese police forces who are for the most part unarmed. The rate of police killings of civilians by NZ police is under a quarter the rate of Australia per capita.

Over 40% of those killed by police in Australia since 1998 were suffering from a diagnosed mental illness and over half these were schizophrenics.

You seem to think this is acceptable and justifiable, I do not.

As to my Psychology 101 I think I'm doing fine as it seems I have you pretty well pegged.

As to my
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 20 November 2019 11:50:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All