The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Universal Basic Income

Universal Basic Income

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. All
The cynicism expressed by many on here towards politicians is to some degree justified. However, having worked with, and known many politicians personally over the years the reality is somewhat different, most are not greedy self service indulgent power hounds at all. Just the opposite, most I have known, do have a sense of the community, and are out to make a difference and do some good. In that I include politicians of all political persuasions.

The cynics can carry on all they like, but in the end even they will have to admit we need leaders and lawmakers, otherwise where would we be.

Anyway, Moneybags Malcolm is coming up to his thirtieth tomorrow, it could be a day for celebration for some, maybe the Mad Monk will have backed a cake to make the occasion. Phony Tony is already asking the big question; What's to be done with a leader that loses 30 'Newspolls' in a row? For the last one it was used as the justification to give him the flick! What goes around comes around.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 8 April 2018 8:37:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nobody, including di Natale, has a clue how much this pie in the sky would cost; it just sounds good - to some people who do not have to take any responsibility for their ravings.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 8 April 2018 9:32:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I do believe that some enter politics for the right reasons. They are naive. To succeed in politics you have to 'give and take'. You give away something someone else wants and you take something you want. Parliament House is a big negotiating chamber. Sometimes polys have to backtrack or give up some ideals to get a proposal passed because he needs the votes on the floor. It is at this moment when it first happens he has lost his innocence and virginity as a poly and he has left himself wide open for further deals, corrupt or otherwise. You cannot have principals in govt.It just does not happen.Sure when you meet them socially, they are the picture of perfection and you want to take them home. In reality, the truth is quite different. Of the polys I know and have known I can say 'this is the way of Jedi, my son'. So for those of us always bagging polys, don't despair, they are as thick as a brick and covered in Teflon so whatever we say and do will just bounce off. They will never challenge anyone for bagging them because they don't want to draw negative attention to themselves and risk being 'looked into'. So long live the bagging, may it continue.
Posted by ALTRAV, Sunday, 8 April 2018 10:01:41 AM
ALTRAV, I have a very good friend who is a state MP, we socialize with a coffee, I can ask what's on the agenda for the day. Most of the time the agenda is rater mundane, committees, other meetings, office duties, correspondence, taking calls, there is also a fair bit of travel involved. It is a full day, leaving at 8am, drive or get to work by PT (yes some MP's use the bus, with no chauffeur to pick them up), and returning at 8pm, there is actually a lot in it. Not everyday is concerned with "world events", and the actual amount of time spent sitting in the parliament is a minimum. Like all workers, some polys are hardworking and consciences, other not so.
There is a human side to politicians as well, one duty might be to make sure the cat has a bowl of feed and water before you leave for work, that's important to.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 9 April 2018 5:00:41 AM
My goodness,

So this is what it would have been like when the idea of a universal health system was proposed. Screams of 'reds under the bed' or people 'getting money for nothing'. Just look at the language in the US decrying a Medicare style system for themselves. Communism! Death Squads!

It took men and women of vision to give us what we now take for granted. Now I'm not sure De Natalie quite fits that bill but there sure as hell very little of it from the Coalition.

There is a case for looking at a basic universal income in a measured fashion. There are many components that would help decrease inequality and help take people out of welfare traps. I have some concerns but feel a proper, non-partisan debate of the issue is well warranted.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 9 April 2018 12:19:15 PM
WhAT DOES this Universal thing entail Oh, they want a world government? Well Greens will never be in power, as a government, they are for robbing the rich to give to the poor, universally I can imagine what a Saudi Arabian prince or sheik might say They push alternative energy will save the planet. Well radiation and oil are a health hazard, but it won't change the climate. Pollution yes, but it won't change the climate. Anyway, this government ignored my request for an increase in single pensioner home owners amount. If I rented my house the government would pay me the rent assistance. But maintaining a home, rates, maintenance, insurance cost a lot. We do get some concession rebates on rates of land rates but not for sewerage and garbage disposal. I pay $160.00 a month out of my pension for rates, water and house. I am paying back a loan to cover $1000 for a sewer repair. And 95 dollars a fortnight for electricity. Plus a funeral insurance of 104.00 a fortnight, House and car insurance, and by the time all this comes out, oh, $50.00 a week, car repairs and $40.00 a fortnight car petrol and oil. And someone has to pay, it is just single pensioners are the worst off if they happen to own their own home.
Posted by Bush bunny, Monday, 9 April 2018 6:23:24 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11