The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'Recognition' Abandoned

'Recognition' Abandoned

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Recognition Australia has reported the “quiet abandonment” of their Recognition campaign. They were also quiet about the $30 million we have been charged for their shenanigans since 2012, when Julia Gillard put a bunch of 'experts' aboard the gravy train.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 12 November 2017 11:47:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Duterte justified reducing the Phillipines Government funding of their human rights commission to $20 thus:

He told local television that the commission deserved the small budget for being "useless" and defending criminals' rights. 
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 12 November 2017 3:57:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Unfortunately it is all too easy to waste other peoples money when one is not accountable, and there in lies the problem.

How many more tax payers dollars are we going to flush down the toilet on this very small portion of the community.
Posted by rehctub, Monday, 13 November 2017 5:33:39 AM
Even though anybody could see that it wasn't really a goer, Aboriginal elites have been flogging the virtues of separatism and segregation for decades. The tragedy is that they haven't put much time into a Plan B. So they'll keep knocking up against common-sense and the real world, like one of those little automatic vacuum cleaners bumping up against a corner.

Plan B ? Clearly we're all here, in Australia, for the foreseeable future. Nobody's going anywhere. Few if any Aboriginal people are leaving the cities to live in remote 'communities' - surely one of the prerequisites for any serious push for a separate State, or a separate country ? Nobody wants to. Urban people, the great majority of Aboriginal people, want to stay urban, as is their right. Come to think of it, almost no Aboriginal people have ever given up living as Australians, with all their rights, and gone back to a traditional life, not unless Toyotas were supplied and maintained.

So is it possible to start the long process of genuine Reconciliation, based on both our permanent co-habitation, and the whole truth about our past, the good and the bad ?

At the last Census, nearly forty nine thousand Indigenous university graduates were counted. [So by the end of this year, make that 56,000, one in every six or seven adults]. More than 40 % of Indigenous households were either owned or being purchased. Year 12 completions are up ten times in the last twenty years. Overwhelmingly, by the way, these are urban achievements. Aboriginal people are an urban people. They are not to be compassionately pitied, but to be wholeheartedly admired.

The tragedy is that Aboriginal elites and 'leadership' seem to have no idea what to do. I don't think they even understand the current situation, arrogant as that may sound. So sheer social change will make all the difference, not any particular policy, nor any Grand Scheme by some charismatic 'leader'. So it's all: start from scratch.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 13 November 2017 8:05:24 AM
Hi Joe,

In a former life I met a few Aboriginal students in secondary colleges in the NT. They were young men and women who had passed Year 10 and were preparing for and/or had just finished their final two years in high school, with a lot of extra help (live-in colleges, tutors, etc.).

But what struck me was their intelligence. These were really impressive kids.

A few years later, one of the senior bureaucrats in the NT education system received an OBE (I think it was) for his decades of service, particularly to Aboriginal education. He was a good man. I called to congratulate him and in the conversation which followed, I was not surprised to hear him say that after all those years he really had no idea how to ensure that the NT education system succeeded in looking after Aboriginal students.

In the big cities it's different, because, as you say, they are urban people and adaptable. But students in the NT (and probably remote parts of NSW, Qld, WA and SA) end up caught between two worlds: the one they have been educated to work in and the world from which they have come, where their people no longer see them in the same light as before. In some cases, the end is personal tragedy.
Posted by calwest, Monday, 13 November 2017 3:40:07 PM
It's a long road since Perkins freedom ride of the sixties. A long road since the abysmal blacks camps, on the edge of most country towns, where the the most beautiful edifice was a red public phone box . Replaced now with domestic buildings resembling respectable housing.
Traditional walking tracks across farmlands between towns, now redundant to personal vehicle transport.
These conditions were repulsive to whites, and reinforced prejudice towards blacks.

In the midst of this social transformation , came the period of the stolen children. The crude attempt by whites to force the issue of tribal reform.

I've lived through much of this, and I'm happy for you Joe. Your a man with a heart!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 13 November 2017 3:40:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy