The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Doing the right thing?

Doing the right thing?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
From the "Border Mail".

"A FATHER who armed himself with an unloaded rifle during a home invasion has been left wondering what he could have done differently, after having his guns seized.

Police took David Dunstan’s three firearms from his farming property at Bungowannah on Thursday afternoon.

A man armed with a knife and piece of wood had knocked on his back door about 3.30am.

Mr Dunstan, who has a gun licence, went to his nearby gun safe and grabbed a .22 rifle after finding the man outside his home.

He said he didn’t point the weapon at the offender, and essentially used the gun as a “prop”.

The father of three forced the man into his vehicle and drove him towards the Albury police station, and was met by officers nearby.

Police seized his guns, which he uses for pest control at his property, later that day.

“I just don’t know what I should have done, what would have been the right way to do it,” Mr Dunstan said.

“My gun licence is for vermin control.

“I suppose, technically, trying to protect yourself is not classed as that."
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4927063/border-farmer-has-guns-taken-after-confronting-man-armed-with-a-knife-at-his-home/

There is probably more to this; but what would you have done?
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 25 September 2017 2:32:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quote from the article.
"Police did not want to comment on the development, but had earlier urged people to call Triple-0 during emergencies."

If this is in the countryside interested to know what the police response time is?

Also for them to take the guns they would have to give a reason, that fact is missing from the article.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 25 September 2017 6:57:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's pretty hard to respect police these days, and even harder to believe that it is actually their job to protect innocent people.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 25 September 2017 9:16:51 PM
Dear Ttbn,

«and even harder to believe that it is actually their job to protect innocent people.»

But indeed that is not their job, because it is not innocent people from which they get their pay-slip!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 25 September 2017 9:36:55 PM
At an industry dinner some years ago in Albury a Lady on our table said she rang the cops to report a burglary taking place next door. Reply was where is it, it was the main street where the Police Station was but the cop was from Melbourne and did not know the streets. No one could come because the divi van was elsewhere. So short of personel? Hardly I was ticketed for speeding on the outskirts of town earlier that day.
Anyway with the pansy police commissioner going all warm and fuzzy on us what can we expect?
Roll on the new commissioner who will have to be a woman, although a trans "woman" might get in front of her. Frocks on chaps if you want the top job!
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 26 September 2017 6:08:28 AM
Yuyutsu,

If you are saying that Australian police forces, like the Australian defence forces have been politicised, I agree.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 26 September 2017 6:34:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy