The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Barnaby Joyce and the Catholic Church.

Barnaby Joyce and the Catholic Church.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. All
Dear AJ,

My husband has some horrific stories that he's told me.
So I understand. I also remember several Sisters of Mercy
who should not have been teaching. They were anything but
merciful. However, as I stated earlier -
I cannot imagine the prospect of life in Australia without
the Church's influence. However, I am no Pollyanna about
this same Church. That's the trouble. It is embedded in my
identity, which means I know all too well where it falls
short. Anyway, I won't go into the details here. Except to
add that I respect your views. And as I've stated many times -
I enjoy reading your posts.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 12 July 2017 6:55:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
AJ,

How about the proposition that if I watch Parliamentary Question Time on the ABC I will start to nod off and even go to sleep?
Posted by Is Mise, Wednesday, 12 July 2017 8:38:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy, "It [Catholicism] is embedded in my identity.."

Which reminded me of a quote, which I have found again,

“The fish are the last to discover the sea.”

from, The Macabre Side of Growing Up Catholic
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/out-the-ooze/201504/the-macabre-side-growing-catholic
Posted by leoj, Wednesday, 12 July 2017 9:14:48 PM
Faith is like Wi-Fi,
it's invisible
but it has the power to connect
you with what you need.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 12 July 2017 11:20:26 PM
phanto,

You obviously didn't know my Mum, and her interpretation of the rights of her children when you say. "Presumably it was your choice to run an errand for your Mum and your choice to ride your bike so it is your responsibility."

Why, when a public figure like Barnaby Joyce, makes a short bland statement, like he did, it is inappropriate for others, including myself, not to offer comment.

A hypothetical, should Malcolm Turnbull happen to say "Kim Jong-un is a good bloke!" Would others have the right to comment on that, or should they ignore it as it does not effect them?

As for the Catholic Church, and why I disagree with Barnaby's statement, I could also point out non personal reasons. The disgraceful actions of many of its clergy in Australia, over many years, and the Churches response to those actions, an on going issue. The Churches position on social matters, like homosexuality and birth control etc.
For me, these and overall personal experience, are things that give the lie to Barnaby's statement.

Like others on the forum, at times I also had good experiences with the Catholic Church. I could even nominate a couple of "Brothers" and "Priests" I particularly liked, and others I particularly did not like.

On Catholic education, by far the biggest single improvement, has been the removal of socially ill-equipped, poorly trained teaching clergy, and their replacement with professional secular educators. Something the Church itself had little choice in, due to both declining numbers of clergy, and state demands for qualified educator in the classroom. Today Catholic education, is on a par with the State system.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 13 July 2017 6:08:56 AM
Sure, Is Mise. That is, if you can provide a definition of “nod off” which we can all agree on? Philosophers have debated that one for centuries. And if you’re watching Question Time in Parliament, are you REALLY watching it? What does it mean to “watch” something, anyway?
Posted by AJ Philips, Thursday, 13 July 2017 8:36:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. ...
  11. 10
  12. 11