The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Seeking suggestions to name a potential organisation

Seeking suggestions to name a potential organisation

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
New suggestion: iVote 2.0

Because it worked so well for vegemite.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 2 September 2015 7:23:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Shockadelic

My question was sincere. You may think you know exactly what Searching1 had in mind, but I’m not so sure. The original post says the aim is to make “Australia's legislatures more representative of the community”. That suggests the legislatures are the issue.

Searching1’s post did not propose a discussion on the merits of direct democracy, it merely asked for suggested names. You are the first to raise this as the issue Searching1 addresses.

I find your baseless leap to abuse other posters for holding opinions they haven’t actually expressed a little bizarre.
Posted by Rhian, Wednesday, 2 September 2015 7:54:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for the suggestions regarding a potential name.

I apologise for being a little coy regarding the possible proposal, however, I'm keen to have something formally established before it may attract interest.

The first part of the post by 'Shockadelicis' (reproduced below) is closest to the mark, in terms of the substance of the proposal.

I can assure you that the motives behind this question are altruistic if judged from the perspective of the community as a whole.

Grateful any further suggestions re a potential name.

Part of previous post:

[] it is quite clear what Searching1 means by "more representative of the community" as Direct Democracy is one of the proposed names.

What you fear is that direct democracy won't "represent" your "community" (i.e. arrogant smirking know-it-alls).

A name like Direct Democracy is precise, but only those familiar with the term would immediately comprehend its meaning.

You may need something with the words "People/You/Australians" and "vote" in it. Keep it simple and obvious.

The People Vote, You Vote, Australians Vote?

You must also be careful to never advocate any particular policy (e.g. boat people, gay marriage, capital punishment).
Your *only* policy is that the people decide.

Posted by Shockadelic, Wednesday, 2 September 2015 6:52:40 PM
Posted by Searching1, Thursday, 3 September 2015 8:18:22 AM
Rhian,

My description of Abbott - nothing man; self-serving; uncommitted, belelieves in nothing; deep shade of pink; coward.

You consider yourself to be a small 'l' liberal. Fine. You know what you believe but it makes you a lefty. The continuing use of the name Liberal is quite ridiculous now. It merely proves that they don't know what they are - just like Abbott. They claim to be a "broad church", but they have been narrowed down by wets.

You have a choice, but I and people like me have been disenfranchised by Abbott's mob.

JS Mill? Like all philosophers, too waffly for me.

Nice to have a nice to have a chat.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 3 September 2015 10:10:27 AM
Hi Searching1

If a direct democracy party is what you're proposing then it may be best to call yourself something that reflects that. Other ideas could be:

People Power
You Vote
Our Choice
The Real Democrats
The Athenians
Citizen Power
Online Democracy Party
Free Democrats
Posted by Rhian, Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:53:05 AM
I'm not sure what kind of organisation you have in mind
so here's a wide mix:

1) Deadly Serious Party

2) Commission For The Future

3) Capitalist Australia

4) Advance Australia

5) Affirmative Action Party

6) Australians All

7) We Are One

8) Cohesive Australia

9) Team Australia

10) We Are Winners

11) Give Us A Break

12) Closed Borders

13) Deportation Party

14) White Australia Party

15) It's Not Us - It's Them Party

16) We Decide Who Comes Here Party

That's it for now.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 3 September 2015 1:57:57 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy