The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > ABC Q&A Monday 2 March 2015

ABC Q&A Monday 2 March 2015

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All
SM,

Here's a pic of Israel's ceaseless expansion since the UN partition of 1947.

http://twitter.com/DavidRomeiPHD/status/574933606692470784

Notice it's presently munching away at the West Bank.

It's pretty much a full time job - grabbing land, bulldozing Palestinian houses, olive groves etc...but hey....someone's gotta do it.

When you say 2,000 "rockets" - you should point out that comparing them to Israel's advanced weaponry is like comparing a firecracker to a Howitzer shell.

There were no "rockets' being fired from those hospitals during the recent Gaza invasion - or from UN-designated compounds - but they were targeted anyway - as were ambulances carrying the wounded.

Over 2,000 Palestinians killed - over 10,000 severely injured...in the space of a few weeks. Hospitals severely damaged, whole areas reduced to rubble, water supplies - gone, etc....

It would be something if Netanyahu hadn't stymied peace efforts - what he did was to fuel the fire.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 March 2015 9:05:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Q and A," celebrated "International Women's Day,"
last night and as our Foreign Affairs Minister
Julie Bishop pointed out (and Emma Watson in my
earlier post) - this celebration is very relevant
today. At least to those of us who realise that
women around the world still face serious issues,
including violence, wage inequity, and biases about
gender roles. The evening on "Q and A," proved to
be a memorable evening with an impressive women's panel,
and a female hosting the show. The questions from the
audience were insightful - and led to a great discussion.
Well done ABC!
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 10 March 2015 10:00:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, I really enjoyed the program last night too Foxy.

A panel of fine women, of which I have to say that Julie Bishop also contributed to very well.
I do wonder though why she won't actually call herself the feminist that she so obviously is?
Maybe she is towing the conservative line too closely in order not to upset the 'boss'?
I had to laugh at some of the tweets written about that subject!

In any case, I was very impressed by Yassmin and her passionate views on Muslim women, but less impressed by Germaine Greer and her silly comment to Julie Bishop re the Bali Nine men.
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 10 March 2015 11:03:36 AM
Good 'shew' IsMise.

That's the second time Paul1405 has taken the bait this thread. He really doesn't like being wrong but that can happen when you don't think (or check your facts) before you leap.

The ladies are now discussing this weeks Q & A; I think this thread has run its course.

See you all somewhere else exciting.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Tuesday, 10 March 2015 11:42:27 AM
The 'ladies' are all narrative. That should be non-gender 'hens' anyhow, say the radical fembots in Sweden,
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2012/04/hen_sweden_s_new_gender_neutral_pronoun_causes_controversy_.html

Fox, "an impressive women's panel, and a female hosting the show"

Glad that wasn't seen as sexism.

That is the 'equality'(sic) of feminists. A podium and a leg-up, gratis.

The First World's comfortably well-off, educated middle class elite's talk fest and celebration of their own selfishness, self-obsession, materialism and self-entitlement. Crass. Hubristic. Totally dismissive of the choices, life transitions and experiences of all women apart from their own narrow interests - new Audis (what colour is 'in'?), restaurants, expensive shoes and the privileged lifestyle).

Each and every one of them would cut a perceived competitor's arm off at the elbow to get ahead, while blaming everyone else for their own personal failings.

Blind to the reality that it is other women, humanists especially, who are their staunchest critics. Why so? The feminist elite don't know and don't care and that says heaps about them.

Young women are running screaming from the nagging, controlling feminists and their U-Haul trailers of baggage. Young women have good reason to do that. It is called living their own lives without feminist guilt trips over career, and making their own choices about their own life transitions and happiness.
Posted by onthebeach, Tuesday, 10 March 2015 12:43:12 PM
Dear Suse,

It was an interesting show and covered
quite a range of issues from the gender pay
gap, sexism, to the representation of women
in the media.

I can identify with Julie Bishop's take on
feminism and her feelings that her actions
and achievement should speak louder than
labels. She simply doesn't want to be stereotyped
or pigeonholed - and that's fair enogh.

Annabel Crabb pointed out in an article she wrote
in The Age newspaper:

"Julie Bishop not calling herself a feminist doesn't
get anywhere near my Top Ten Things That Keep Me
Awake All Night. She was sworn in as the only
female minister in a Cabinet of 18 blokes and turned
out to be better at it than any of them. That's what I
call service to women, whatever she chooses to call it."

You might find the entire article of interest:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/annabel-crabb-im-proud-to-be-a-feminist-despite-my-regular-lapses-20150307-13wrw2.html
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 10 March 2015 12:48:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. Page 19
  10. 20
  11. 21
  12. All