The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Are “Social Licenses” exposed to undue external influence?

Are “Social Licenses” exposed to undue external influence?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Should have started the thread two days earlier on 1 April, spindoc...

I struggled to find the distinction between the expression and meaning of 'social license' and that of representative democracy in our society;

until I noticed - in the last paragraph - "...a survey instrumet [sic], ‘SociaLicense™’, has been developed..."

Now the intention of On Common Ground Consultants Inc and Robert Boutilier and Associates is clear.

Though I shall not be purchasing their trademarked survey instrumet [sic] to attempt to measure their vapourware concept.

I have already reached my own conclusion.
Posted by WmTrevor, Thursday, 4 April 2013 10:24:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I seems not many of us know much about this and yet 2013 has been described as the year of the social license. Much interest has been generated within the consulting industry and the legal profession. I guess this is always a strong indication that it is been taken much more seriously.

The link below offers a good description and comes with CSR’s perspectives. This following comment from that site.

“The term was coined in the mining industry about 15 years ago but today is so mainstream we see it routinely used in the news media and politics. For example, the coal seam gas industry and the live cattle export industry have both had their social licenses under the spotlight in recent months”.

(Can’t agree that its is either “mainstream” or “routinely covered in politics and media”, otherwise our erstwhile OLO’ers would be much more across it)

It was Julia Gillard who recently made Social License comments in relation to CSG and the live cattle trade. I also found a comment from Tim Flannery in relation to Climate Change and Coal Mining.

The concept seems to have been around for considerable and seems to have its origins in the corporate sectors “Social Responsibility”.

Graeme M,

<< It doesn't invalidate the rights of such groups to have their views inserted into the process>>.

I agree but the issue I was trying to address was I guess, what should the weighted value of influence be, for those stakeholders outside the community of interest and who are not directly affected? Just “views” or does activism come into it?

If this mechanism is purely a social rather than legal entity, can we expect its undoubted power to be unduly influenced by opportunism?

http://www.csrconnected.com.au/2011/08/defining-the-elusive-and-essential-social-licence-to-operate/
Posted by spindoc, Thursday, 4 April 2013 10:42:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That figures, spindoc. I should have picked it earlier.

>>Pericles, This concept is now being picked up by the consulting firm’s big time<<

And explains a great deal. It's just another buzzphrase dreamed up by a consultancy in order to generate more fees, meaning exactly what the user wants it to mean, and creating pointless work for mindless corporate drones.

>>Much interest has been generated within the consulting industry and the legal profession<<

I can very easily understand the "interest" within the consulting industry, as it looks to have the potential to be a fine fee-generator. As it would to the legal profession, always on the lookout for concepts that need "clarifying", even when the need for clarification has itself been artificially created.

The absolute lack of detail, which you confirm in your responses to my questions, is an indication of the irrelevance of the concept. It should not be given the oxygen of publicity, even on a forum such as this, instead every one of its manifestations should be treated with the utmost contempt.

And I think you may perhaps have confused the company, CSR, with the concept, CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) and the consultancy, ACCSR.

>>The link below offers a good description and comes with CSR’s perspectives.<<

Ultimately, the concept is no different to its immediate predecessor, the "triple bottom line", and the one before that, the "balanced scorecard". Each of which has in its turn enriched the consultancy sharks, who prey constantly on the insecurity of Australia's traditionally weak management sector.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 4 April 2013 12:43:21 PM
I think the focus from posters has been about what a Social License actually is. Since it does exist, it is in use and has been for many years, I was rather hoping that the focus could remain on how they are actually applied in today’s environment.

We have had direct references from Julia Gillard relating to live animal exports and to CSG. We have also had reference by Tim Flannery.

So for example, how are the Social License applied in these three examples?

CSG seems to be the best example of the SL being community based. That is the local community appears to have the lions share of the consensus and influence.

In the case of live animal exports, the local community would seem to be those involved and associated with that industry and earning a living from it and yet, they are the ones most affected and seem to have the least say.

In the case of wind farm developments many local communities don’t grant a social license for such developments, often taking their opposition to court or a public enquiry. So the question might legitimately be asked, where is their SL?

Does anyone think these live examples are worth debating?
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 5 April 2013 9:19:07 AM
The problem is one of definition, spindoc.

It is not possible to have a sensible discussion about a concept that does not have a grounding in anything remotely measurable.

We have laws covering the environment, taxation, trespass etc. We have planning permission requirements that vary from location to location. All you have to offer for discussion is a powerpoint presentation of a consultant-driven social construct, that in itself has no basis in law.

>>We have had direct references from Julia Gillard relating to live animal exports and to CSG. We have also had reference by Tim Flannery.<<

Perhaps if you could point to these pronouncements on the subject, instead of simply alluding to them as if everyone knows what you are on about, we might at least have something to debate. I'm willing to bet, however, that they both use the term entirely indiscriminately, and without identifying exactly what these licenses are supposed to cover, ensure, guarantee, protect or whatever.

You will find yourself in a Looking Glass world, with Humpty Dumpty your friendly, $350 an hour consultant.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 5 April 2013 3:38:22 PM
Pericles, I can’t help with the sources of the quotes. I got onto this after JG made a comment to the effect that the live cattle export trade had “lost its social license”.

Not knowing what the hell this was all about I started researching the topic and found it to be much more prolific as an instrument than I had imagined.

My post is based on that research and from the links provided, all of which seem to answer the questions you ask.

In the end it is about raising a topic and stimulating debate. I didn’t design it, I’m not promoting it, I don’t fully understand its ramifications but if you want to know more you can always Google it as I did.

In answer to your question “Can you measure the Social License”?

“Yes, a survey instrument, ‘SociaLicense™’, has been developed that uses a number of indicators to measure the level of Social License that exists at any one time in terms of Rejection, Acceptance, Approval and Co-ownership”.

See http://socialicense.com/definition.html

Also, http://www.australiancoal.com.au/social-licence-to-operate.html

Also, “The Power of Social License in Action - the Coal Seam Gas Example”

http://www.probonoaustralia.com.au/news/2013/04/power-social-licence-action-coal-seam-gas-example#

Hope this helps.
Posted by spindoc, Saturday, 6 April 2013 11:42:21 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy