The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > NBN Fibre Broadband Network

NBN Fibre Broadband Network

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
NBN Introduced by Labour for the introduction of the implantation of Fibre Optic Broadband, the idea is to spend 43 billion over 8 years across Australia.

The design is to lay fibre cabling all over running it direct to premises, with the laying cost paid for by government public money and additional cost of installation burdened by the businesses, buildings or household owners/renters.

The implementation of bringing Australia up to date with everyone else in the world laying fibre optics currently is a great idea, as it does not take long to lay and if done correctly nor requiring extensive labour or machinery in laying town to city to town.

New tunnels are not required just deep lines/trenches or excising cabling tunnels below cities and suburbs, as it in total is no bigger than a power cable.

Firstly; NBN with cabling wholesaler rights sell to the competing wholesale retailers such as Optus, Vodaphone, 3 network and so on that connects the required equipment to the outside on the premises and plugs internally.

Secondly; The wholesale-retailer that you sign up with, then sells you the equipment through contract to install and setup.

Thirdly; Changing wholesale-retailers means the equipment at the nod outside your premises and internally must now be changed to your new contract, thence you are recharged for another installation externally.

Finally; This is not a good approach only one company should retain all equipment as normal and wholesale-retailers should be only making the jumper adjustment at the exchange as normal.

NBN should through profit not public money aka tax profit or surplus pay for the equipment installation to the premises externally and internally. This is turn saves the consumers pocket and retailers costs and confusion of implementation and/or rotation.

Brett J Hutton
Posted by BrettH, Friday, 29 October 2010 3:21:41 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome an informative post from some one who understands.
Some will not agree, as you see we have other threads on the subject.
I find nothing in your post I do not agree with.
And the competition you want is on my wish list.
You may have noted in other threads far too many seem to forget how big Australia is, and how poor connection can be.
My regards
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 30 October 2010 4:35:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You are describing exactly how it works now.

If you sign up with any of the existing ISPs they provide the necessary equipment to connect to your phone line. Just as they will do with a fibre connection. The biggest difference is that now they must pay Telstra for wholesale access. In the future they will pay NBNCo.

One other point I discovered recently is that fibre is not prone to lightning strikes. As someone who has had a modem fried by lightning I consider this a handy bonus.

The main fibre cables between towns and cities will pass thousands of homes that at the moment have no hope of a decent broadband connection due to distance from the exchange. With fibre you can connect to it anywhere along its length and get the same speed and bandwidth as the person next door to the exchange.

The NBN really is a no brainer for this country and its "tyranny of distance". The benefits to the bush alone will be so great I would support it even if it cost twice as much.

The conservative parties have seen during the coward years how well divisiveness and fear/hatemongering works and they arent giving up on it now. With the help of limited news and the minions of murdoch they are running this campaign of negativity and smear the likes of which Australia has never seen before and could well do without. The "born to rule" mob have turned their backs on the egalitarianism and "mateship" that characterised Australia for so long and have embraced the bile and greed of the neoconservative agenda of power and money over all else.
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 30 October 2010 10:11:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Belly,

"an informative post" really? All BrettH has said is that he thinks that the NBN is a good idea, he has not given any indication of what it should cost, nor a comparison of fiber over other technologies. Your effusive praise for a post devoid of any facts is solely because it is the last policy that Labor has with even the facade of merit, and you realise that if it collapses in a heap so does Labor.

Mikk,

Obviously you have not tried surge protectors. "I would support it even if it cost twice as much" coming from a Labor supporter (Tax and spend party) it is not surprising you have no regards for taxpayers money.

Brett,

If you have anything technical or otherwise to contribute I would be most interested, however, as of yet I am left wanting.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Saturday, 30 October 2010 3:39:53 PM
Mikk and our authors posts had truth to carry them.
Shadow minister the world will turn on such as you.
America will get it neo conservative landslide, several Australian states too.
But the emptiness contained in post after post from you, will in time bring your party to its knees.
Right now Gillard is not impressing me, your mob by its slanders lies and rat bag support for the likes of Hockey is about the best thing Labor has going for it.
Keep up the good work SM after all you help my mob more than any thing.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 30 October 2010 4:55:58 PM
is business as usual possible?

http://peakoil.com/production/the-great-transition-beyond-carbon/
Posted by kiwichick, Saturday, 30 October 2010 10:24:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy