The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Faith in god is faithlessness in man

Faith in god is faithlessness in man

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Absolutely Houellebecq, you have touched on yet another puzzle in the religious beliefs of a Christian!

Maybe Ritchie10 can tell us whether the 'babies in limbo if they die before they are christened' story is still true within the Christian churches (Catholics)? We don't want TOO much info though Ritchie please!

I remember when I was a good Catholic girl sitting in church of a Sunday, the congregation was asked to pray for all the babies in Limbo, and all the souls in Pergatory (those on waiting lists to go to heaven, but needed our prayers from earth to get them there).

I think that now I will put my faith in real people here on Earth, rather than a guy that died 2000 years ago, or a bunch of people who believe in the above rubbish.
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 18 February 2010 10:36:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Susie,
Use your own soul {mind, will, emotions and interlect} and invite God the Holy Spirit to tell you because that is part of his job description not mine. Most here have never taken the time to dig out the gems found in the bible. A diamond in the ground is of no value to you, it is only of value to the finder after he has put in effort.
Richie 10
Posted by Richie 10, Friday, 19 February 2010 1:21:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hey runner,

One more question. I've always wanted to know, if Adam and Eve had kids Kane and Abel, did they then have sex with the only woman around (Eve). If that's the case, isn't it a sin to have sex with your mother?

How else did we all get here. There must have been incest somewhere if you're starting from 2 people.

Also, were they white, black or asian looking?

Hey Richie,

I did some reading.

Genesis 19:8 Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof

Sounds really good!

If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he can not be my disciple. (Luke 14:26 NAB)

Jesus was pretty hard core huh?

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law (I'm figuring that was pretty easy!) ; and one's enemies will be those of his household'". (Matthew 10:34-36 NAB)

Also, there are a few inconsistencies....

Luke links Jesus' birth with Quirinius' governorship of Syria and Herod's kingship. But Quirinius took office in AD 6, whereas Herod died in BC 4 or 5.

Was Jesus' first recorded sermon on a mount (Matt. 5:1-2) or a plain (Luke 6:17)?

Judas hangs himself (Matt. 27:5). Or fell, and split himself open (Acts 1:18)

Simon of Cyrene carried Jesus' cross (Matt. 27:32, Mark 15:21, Luke 23:26), or only Jesus himself did (John 19:17).

Each account of Jesus' last words is different (Matt. 27:46, Mark 15:34, Luke 23:46, John 19:30). Which one is correct?

Jesus tells Mary to touch her after his resurrection (Matt. 28:9, Luke 24:39). In John 20:17, he forbids her to do so.
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 19 February 2010 11:15:16 AM
I would suggest before misquoting text to make a point that research be done on the facts and context of the text. All this can be done online at a reputable Bible Study website.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 19 February 2010 7:03:18 PM
Misquoting Jesus view to the sword contradicts what he actually believed for the life of his followers (Matthew 26: 47 - 56). Followers of Christ have not been instructed to take up weapons, but be warned throught the centuries others will take up the sword against you and the impact of the message to change lives. Saul known as Paul was an example of kiling Christians in the Early Church Acts 9.

As Christ's followers we cannot expect peace but we can expect persecution that may divide family, and family loves. Righteousness, justice and mercy is what Jesus was about and ought to be our greatest love - above loyalty to mother or father who does not act with such values.
Posted by Philo, Friday, 19 February 2010 7:21:52 PM
Dear Philo,
Jesus preached the Kingdom of God with acompening signs and wonders. It is our unbelief that signs and wonders are for, to help us trust his word. Yesterday the Holy Spirit placed another cobble in my pathway to life and as you say it is all about perception. A question was asked about people who die having no knowledge of Christ. The bible says that they will be judged by the light in their life; innocence versus ignorance. In 3rd world countries they receive with joy the good news of the gospel of kingdom living while here in the west we greet it with sceptacism and unbelief. Jesus could do no miracles in his home town for no one believed. Nothing has changed in 4000 years for as Solomon said the river runs into the sea and the sea never gets full for the water goes back to the land to flow back to the sea again. All to deep fof those who believe in climate change science. For looking they will never see, hearing they never hear.
Richie 10
Posted by Richie 10, Saturday, 20 February 2010 2:15:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy