The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An urgent need to regulate our 'public intellectuals' > Comments

An urgent need to regulate our 'public intellectuals' : Comments

By Ken Nielsen, published 10/11/2009

The Nanny State needs to turn its attention to the proliferation of uninformed opinionators.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
TurnRight TurnLeft, how dare you?

Promite is every bit as marvellous as Vegemite!

It's only Marmite that's revolting gunk, but that's because it's made by Poms.

Vegemite Mk II, or whatever silly name it's called by at the moment, is completely beyond the pale.
Posted by Clownfish, Wednesday, 11 November 2009 1:55:52 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think -in the interests of free market libertarianism- perhaps a prerequisite would be more digestible than nasty old regulation.
Perhaps public intellectuals should first qualify as either meteorologists or economists; two pursuits which offer very adequate returns for being consistently wrong.
This offers a very good opportunity for relative success. If you are consistently wrong about that which you are trained in, there is a very real possibility you could inadvertently stumble across something useful as you waffle along about something you know even less about.
Take heart; it always rains after a drought.
Posted by Grim, Saturday, 14 November 2009 10:09:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Grim,

I think that, with respect, you may be missing the point. In a democratic and open society, everybody has - should have - the right to express their opinion. Others can decide if they waffle along, or if they don't know what they are talking about, or if they say or write something objectionable to someone else, and say so - that is THEIR right. But I hope that there will never be any restrictions on the freedom of speech or expression merely on the grounds of ignorance, or in deference to some bunch of self-appointed and self-important 'public intellectuals'.

Otherwise where would I be :)
Posted by Loudmouth, Sunday, 15 November 2009 5:00:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How about private intellectuals - should they be regulated too?

Just checkin' :)
Posted by Pynchme, Sunday, 15 November 2009 10:44:03 PM
My point exactly, Pynchme.
While even the most humble artisan such as I can aspire to the epithet 'private intellectual' (particularly if I manage to keep my mouth and my pen shut), in this age of creeping credentialism two credentials which would serve the more lofty 'Public' intellectuals would be the ones I have already mentioned, for the reasons listed.
Imagine reading an article which -at first glance- appears impressive. A quick skiz at the byline confirms the author is a meteorologist. Immediately you think, "well, this person must be intelligent enough to have something interesting to say about economics, I shall definitely peruse this article more thoroughly!"
And of course, vice versa; witness all the economists who speak so volubly (and voluminously) about impending changes in future weather patterns.
Loudmouth, I thank you kindly for taking me so seriously. Just proves there really is a first time for everything.
Posted by Grim, Monday, 16 November 2009 5:57:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Grim, but my point was that you and I and everybody else have the right to spout rubbish, including offensive rubbish, on or at any public venue that we like (although we might be risking a physical expression of opinion in the face). In a democratic, open and free society, there should never be some self-created category of 'public intellectual' (or 'pubic intellectual, as I first typed: it's still early and we haven't got much sleep in Adelaide).

Of course, nobody has the right to shout 'fire!' in a crowded theatre for no reason, but there should be no restrictions on, or 'credentials' required for, the expression of views. So rest assured, Grim, no matter what rubbish you write, no matter how fatuous or offensive, I for one will try to defend your right to express it. If we couldn't defend that right, most OLO contributors would be silenced, or locked away in a Hamilton re-education camp out Oodnadatta way.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 16 November 2009 7:21:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy