The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > All is not well in the asylum > Comments

All is not well in the asylum : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 20/10/2009

Philip Ruddock's policies led to some of the grossest abuses of human rights in Australian history.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Nothing like asylum seekers who arrive by boat to bring out the ignorant and downright nasty from under their rocks.

Mind you, it's quite amusing that ozzie would accuse those who stick up for human rights as "Nazis". Can I invoke Godwin's Law this early in the thread?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 11:53:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So insanely hypocritical. Listen here all you redneck, racist, bigoted, xenophobic bogans (ok everyone has stoped listening at this point) blah, blah, blah.

Written and Authorised on behalf of the Australian Society of registered Bullies who like to persecute those that do share our political viewpoint and also like to censor talk of crimes committed against you. However we feel sorry for those who are also at the receiving end of our ilk but in other countries. This is because we were caught out with our hate toward those of other colour so now direct it to those that share a few more genetic traits but lack in the white superiority department.
Posted by TheMissus, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 12:14:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whatever you think about the policy of locking up asylum seekers, if we lock up the men, there should be no problem with locking up the women. Saying otherwise is sexist and paternalistic.
Posted by benk, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 12:20:32 PM
I wish people would just shut up about this.
If the media shock jocks and tabloid rags stopped beating up the fear and sensationalising the few that come hardly anyone would actually care and no one would be adversely effected.

I wish our leaders were more like Malcolm Fraser was (never thought Id say that) back in the days of Vietnamese and Cambodian boat people. The reffos as people called them at the time could have been locked in camps and demonised by the government and there were those here and in other countries that tried, but the Gov of the day treated them fairly, humanly and as timely as possible to get them settled in Australia. There were settling in problems like Cabramatta but now those people and their descendants are welcome and valuable members of our communities and no one bats an eyelid to see names like Nguyen in public or private.

I wish Aussies weren't so quick to fall for the racist dog whistlers.
They are only after distraction and taking your minds away from the real issues. It is a divide and rule strategy. Set one group of proles against another. I thought us aussies had progressed a bit beyond that. Especially given our history of immigration over the past century. When will we ever learn?

I wish we would help these countries become so nice their people wouldnt want to leave and become refugees. The real problem isnt refugees coming to Australia it is refugees in the first place. In 2009 to think that humanity still has the barbarism and chaos that leads to refugees is a shame on all of us and a massive failure of the human race.
Posted by mikk, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 12:21:14 PM
when the rest of us just went along like a mob of stupid sheep, along came Cornelia Rau to show us that because we allowed these crimes of humanity to happen to THOSE ILLEGALS, then it started happening to us, AUSTRALIAN CITIZENS. Why can't we adopt a tad more humanity and do what they do in British Columbia and Sweden, allow these refugees to live in the community until their paperwork is processed? They haven't committed any crimes, and would be more than eager to work at anything to earn their keep. Why are we so fond of incarcerating other human beings, is it something in our genes? Maybe one day when we mature and become a republic and have a Bill of Rights that applies to all, will we see that dak period under Howard as what lies in store for us again if we don't grow up - and soon.
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 12:21:42 PM
If the diatribes above are about persons arriving by boat then, may I remind people that there are more "illegal" immigrants arriving by plane - overstaying visas, working when they are not supposed to etc....

Also, can someone point to the law that defines what (or who) are "illegal immigrants"?

I hope that one day all those espousing tough treatment on the poor sods putting their life on the line to come here, will themselves be victim of the types of situations that make people decide to jump on a boat. Only then will you begin to realize that behind the faces you loathe are people with aspirations and dreams of a safe life...something EVERYONE is entitled to.
Posted by Bikesusenofuel, Tuesday, 20 October 2009 12:49:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All