The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > At what price Gorgon? > Comments

At what price Gorgon? : Comments

By Rachel Siewert, published 21/9/2009

Gorgon gas - environmental concerns; selling off our precious reserves; and a large taxpayer bill for untested technology.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
G'Day All
Why haven't we started building LPG cars as standard production? There is more Gas under the ground through the Pilliga Scrub(N.West NSW)than what we would use in 100 years this would alleviate our present need for the importation of the oil that we are importing at present for the petrol that the cars are using.
I am of the understanding that LPG is cleaner than petrol, although someone may be able to enlighten me on that point.
The LPG powered cars may not be as fast as the petrol driven cars but I have driven LPG powered cars & have found no problem with the power or speeds that they are capable of although they weren't the sheer power of the petrol powered cars of the race cars but who needs race car performance on the highways.
Anyway just a thought have a great life from Dave
Posted by dwg, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 2:31:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<< Ok, to add a little bit of reality to all the dreaming :) >>

Yes, indeed, let's add some reality....

Sooner or later petrol/oil is going increase in price beyond the average motorist (sooner) and then become scarce (later).

If we don't use natural gas during transition from oil dependency (for which we already have the means to convert), what do we utilise? Electric cars are fine for short trips, but Australia is a large country.

Suggestions welcome.
Posted by Fractelle, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 3:58:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Fractelle, you are free to use natural gas, any day that you wish.
Its far cheaper then petrol, just bit less convenient. Have
you converted your car yet?

The Govt was paying for a large part of conversions, as soon as
the price of petrol dropped a bit, people slacked off on converting.

Its up to each individual to make their own decision.

Gas companies won't set up more gas distribution, unless consumers
demand it and yes, coal seam gas can be used, there is oodles of
in all around the Eastern coal areas.

As a matter of interest, all my vehicles are diesel and I am
surrounded by fields of canola, with a biodiesel plant in town,
owned by a mate of mine. My wheels are assured.

The thing is, people just happen to learn the hard way. The moment
oil goes up to 200$ plus, there will be much complaining and
squealing, tv full of drama and sad stories and long queues outside
the gas conversion places. We've seen it all before.
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 22 September 2009 5:33:44 PM
dwg & others;
LPG and Natural gas are different gases.
LPG in Australia is made from oil.
Natural gas is what comes out the gas pipe to your stove and oven.

In the US you can buy compressors that can supply the gas tank in
your car from your gas supply.
There are many buses in Sydney running on natural gas, but as far as I
know there are no service stations equipped for CNG.

I have not seen any projections on when peak gas will occur if we use
it for transportation. The last I read of projected world peak gas was
in about 15 years. The US has since then found more gas but there is
now a move for CNG for cars in the US so that will bring peak gas
much closer if it takes off.

Another problem is that there will be a large number of gas fired
power stations built in the next few years, including here in Australia.

So conversion of the car & truck fleet is a real option.
The big but is how much have we committed to export and power stations ?
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 7:49:07 AM
Thanks for that Bazz
I have never really looked deep into that side of life I have had and still have more pressing agendas
First the abuse of a child that I thought was mine
Now my very freedom and existance.
I may have to put a little of my mind aside to indulge on the learning more of this gas situation because as I said the Pilliga Scrub has that much natural gas under it than we could use in 100years
They did have a small power station at Gunnedah which I think is still operating but that was coal fired
Anyway thanks again Bazz
All have a good life from Dave
Posted by dwg, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 2:05:59 PM
1. 2009: A lawsuit was lodged in the DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO CINCINNATI DIVISION against Chevron.

Allegations outlined in Item 38 of 98, state that "the release of highly toxic contaminants and abnormally dangerous substances into the groundwater was of such a massive size that it migrated through the local groundwater system and Great Miami River to off-site locations, including the Plaintiffs’ properties."

2. 2009: An Ecuadorean judge is expected to rule soon on whether Chevron owes up to $27 billion in damages for contamination of the Amazon rain forest.

3. A class action was filed against Chevron USA, Inc during 2004, on behalf of residents of northeast Washington, D.C., who allege that a 1989 gasoline spill violated federal environmental laws. The action seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for wrongful death, personal injury, and the devaluation the homeowners' property. The USEPA has found that the resulting contamination spreads more than six city blocks into the plaintiffs' neighborhood, and affects more than 400 homes.

4. 2009: "Exxon-Mobil sentenced in Boston Harbour Spill. Corporation to pay $6 million for Criminal Violation of the Clean Water Act – spilling diesel oil into the Mystic River."

WA's Department of Conservation and Land Management: “ WA islands are increasingly being used by the petroleum and aquaculture industries and for recreation. Quarantine procedures developed for Barrow Island by West Australian Petroleum Pty Ltd (now incorporated into Chevron Australia) have demonstrated that quarantine can be successful (Butler 1989). However, it has failed on at least four occasions when house mice have entered the island via food containers or in equipment. Even with the best will and efforts, quarantine can never be 100% successful and use of islands with high nature conservation values by industry should be minimised.”

Chevron et al, under the guise of WAPET, have occupied Barrow Island since the mid 60s. During 1990/91, a supposedly successful eradication programme was undertaken to rid the island of the introduced black rat (Rattus Rattus). Unfortunately, IMO, the eradication of the ecologically destructive feral, Rattus Rattus, in human form, was unsuccessful.
Posted by Protagoras, Wednesday, 23 September 2009 3:24:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy