The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Every vote is vital to Nats > Comments

Every vote is vital to Nats : Comments

By Ron Boswell, published 19/12/2008

A coalition is give and take: neither party can have everything its own way, and that has to be understood by both parties.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
Curious view Phil, Barnaby is in the LNP everywhere because he only belongs to one party. He doesn't avoid that when he flies overthe border. He might sit and vote with the Nats but he can no longer be a Queensland National anymore than the CLP's Nigel Scullion is. You really need to read the LNP Constitution. They have a choice of party rooms but can't escape the basic fact that they belong to the Liberal Party now. The LNP is a Division of the Federal Liberal Party.

I am curous about your view about how strong the constituency is for the Nats in the regions. Must be seeing different results to me. The LNP formed because neither party was doing well at State level. I don't go for the 'we were less bad than you' argument. Neither state party had a flattering record and both former partes had much to be ashamed of.

Since Barnaby and Ron are Queensland Senators and the Queensland Nats no longer exist, just who are they representing now? The NSW Nats (who survive in the Senate courtesy of a joint ticket), the Vic Nats (Do they have any Senators since McGauran jumped ship?), the SA Nats (none federally, but one state Nat sits with Labor), the CLP who sit with both parties federally. Currently Scullion sits with the Nats in the Senate but when there was a lower house rep (Tollner) he sat with the Libs. There are no WA federal Nats, there are no Tassy Nats, there are no Queensland Federal Nats (like the CLP they sit in the party room but now belong to a differet party).

The long term prognosis is absolutely clear and its about time that people start listening to luminaries like Doug Anthony, Ian Sinclair, John Anderson - whose National credentials are beyond challenge - that merging is the best way and that means working within a team.

I enjoy a good debate :) Wishing you and yours and all the posters at The National Forum a very Merry Christmas and here's hoping for a better New Year.
Posted by gobsmacked, Wednesday, 24 December 2008 10:44:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am writing as a former member of the former QLD Nationals where I say that the decline of this vote is wholly of their own making. Every indepth polling they did came back with people saying that the Nationals deserted them in favour of getting in with the Liberals no matter who devastating it has been for the bush.

The Nationals/Country Party leader who actually stood up and did the right thing was Joh. Unlike today where this mob does not care for anybody outside the big cities it once represented. This is why the voters have turned their votes away, gradually keeping themselves represented only be strong Independent candidates.

Those such as Boswell are people who are way past their usefulness and the fact that Boswell was not turfed out from his position when they had the chance, shows that the members are also still spineless twits.
Posted by Spider, Tuesday, 30 December 2008 5:57:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy