The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Stopping the river of illness at its source > Comments

Stopping the river of illness at its source : Comments

By Todd Harper, published 16/4/2008

Nation's future health goes on life support. Think prevention - not just cure: this is how Australia must fight emerging epidemics.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Well, well I thought I was the only guy sick of paying my taxes to help unhealthy lifestyles. We don't have a HEALTH system, we have a SICK system and the sooner we change the name of the government departments the better. Let Roxon run a new HEALTH system and let the states have the SICK system.
We reward people in this country for unhealthy lifestyles. When they get sick we pay to fix them, but us poor bastards that try to live healthy lifestyles by exercising and eating sensibly and rarely see a doctor - we just pay and pay. With private health insurance and the Medicare levy , health is the second biggest bill in my house. Now don't get me wrong, some people are just unlucky. They have an accident, they inherit bad genes - for these they deserve all the help they can get. BUT for those who smoke, drink too much, eat too much and don't exercise - 2 strikes and you are out. That is we taxpayers don't pay. The solution is simple (not politically safe though).
1. Change the name to SICK department and introduce a HEALTH department.
2.Target 70% spend on prevention by 2020
3. Reward healthy people - penalise unhealthy people.
4. Educate! Educate! Educate!
5. Make everyone in Australia have a health assessment. This does not need to be done by doctors. Keep it simple, BMI, simple blood test, respiratory test.
Posted by Boolarong, Tuesday, 29 April 2008 10:18:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy