The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sorry Ross ... > Comments

Sorry Ross ... : Comments

By John Töns, published 4/3/2008

Sorry Ross Garnaut - thank you for your input but we will see if we can get someone come up with a more favourable point of view.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I agree with Tena. In a nutshell, the economy must be seen as nothing more than a tool to sustain humans and their ecosystem. The prevailing ideology makes the economy an idol to which people (except for a few) and the natural environment need to be sacrificed constantly.

Another step that we must take is to attach monetary value to all our natural assets, from clean air to centuries-old trees. These values must then be written into our national accounts and destruction of such assets calculated as a loss. What a difference this would make to the Gross National Product!

Not only I, but many other much more authoritative people have said these things for several decades or more. I don't see any rapid change in the conventional wisdom, but there are occasional small signs of hope.
Posted by crabsy, Wednesday, 5 March 2008 11:11:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you- Perseus, at last a bit of sense.

Furthermore both Garnaut and Stern probably haven't a clue about the underlying sciences of the subject-they are both economists,so their relevant forte may be statistics and information compiling,plus an ability to accept the hidden agenda of giving their masters what they want to hear.
But they both are extremely adapt at using the wrong info for their computer modelling,so the end results must be taken with a ton of salt!!
Posted by mik, Monday, 10 March 2008 4:35:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy