The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rethinking health and social education using Applied Theatre > Comments

Rethinking health and social education using Applied Theatre : Comments

By Michael Anderson, published 25/10/2007

Applied Theatre provides a fresh way of thinking about how to tackle the hard questions that face us in our community.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
YES I BELIEVE ARTs CAN HELP save the world.

Bullying is a prime example of how the theatre - role plays and how better human experiences - through civic engagement frameworks - might be obtained. It reflects the importance of understanding the role of the Other from a diversity of Cutural_A-perspectives.

I feel also through health education, SMALL NGO's through project development, needs to be more fully supported.

In trying to communicate from a local - regional - isolated - spatial populated area here in Cooktown Cape York, I feel the barriers, the negative pressure to communicate with government departments (at great cost) who appear to have no idea about "what you are taliking about". The situation create adversities to common ground problems.

Their insistance for us (to write it down)... to FIT into inside their Language + Framework is depleting. Frankly... due to the lack of reasonable response from the writing. It is NULLIFYING.

I ask that consultants and policy advisers across Australia look at this problem. I believe the idea is to attract the SKILLS we need from within community, and work out how business accountability issues that DO GO hand in hand with Community Project demands, need to be attentively resolved.

Many creative Hands CAN create Less Work.

Civil engagement, collabration and an integrated resource infrastructure at civic levels will go a long way to improve the policies of a integrated view in civic... preventive health.

I am hoping the party leaders thrash this out.

I know I am tired of the pressure to communicate and I am tired of being mis-understood or nullified because government officials themselves have failed to do their own homework.

Inspiring article, innovative ideas and a BIG TA.

http://www.miacat.com
Posted by miacat, Thursday, 25 October 2007 12:32:21 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Michael, I think you have a good idea .

The fact that Applied Theatre has been used to good effect in South Africa against AIDS is an indicator to it's use in Australia.

Having an interest in Aboriginal Health improvement I have often thought that DVDS of cartoon characters showing how various diseases start, and how they can progress ,with and without treatment of various kinds would have considerable impact on all ages.

If the Federal Government, through the Minister of Health and the Minister for Indigenous Affairs could fund a creative group that utilised theatre and film using Aboriginal Actors and creators I believe this may succeed when English and other oral information programmes might fail .

Acting and miming is used traditionally to educate life skills - I feel sure it would work and is probably long overdue in implementation .
Posted by kartiya jim, Thursday, 25 October 2007 9:32:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
kartiya jim,
When I suggested this very idea 25 years ago I was laughed at & ridiculed.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 27 October 2007 10:04:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy