The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The pursuit of terrorists post September 11: be afraid, be very afraid … > Comments

The pursuit of terrorists post September 11: be afraid, be very afraid … : Comments

By Andrew Boe, published 2/8/2007

The details of the Haneef case, and the broader issues raised by this apparently flawed application of Australia's laws.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. All
Danielle

I note once again you are struggling to get your names right. I’m PaulL and if you have been having an online debate with a phillipL please direct me to it? The Australian Federal Police (AFP) were formed in 1979, as I have said earlier. The only group you could possibly be talking about is the CIB who were, at times in their history, also known as the Australian Commonwealth Police. Part of CIB’s responsibilities were spun off in 1949 to allow formation of ASIO.

This organisation of 1949 has NO relationship at all to the current AFP. They have completely different charters and no doubt different personnel.

I can certainly see how dangerous such a comment, as was made to your mother, could be.??

Both Meg and I have said before that all your experience and travel( which, by the way, you assume is limited to yourself) only makes you an expert on what YOU saw or heard. It doesn’t give you expert status on matters of national policy or history. It certainly doesn’t give you any moral authority.

You do tend to make things up as you go along Danielle. Even if I was wrong about the AFP you seem happy to guess about when such a force was set up and why. Why don’t you just find out for sure and then send us a link.

Again you have misunderstood what is meant by Internment. Internment was a tool used by the British gov’t against the IRA during that conflict. It involved suspected IRA members being jailed without trial.

Similarly shoot- to-kill as a policy wasn’t about self defence. It was the policy of the British forces to kill suspected IRA members on sight rather than try and arrest them. You really don’t want to go down that road!!

The only decision I have made about you, Danielle, is that you don’t seem to have done any research on this topic. After reading your posts on the Palestinian Arts movement it seems that this may have been a one-off occurrence.
Posted by Paul.L, Saturday, 1 September 2007 11:28:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
..........sorry?..you mentioned my name Meggott....?

What a nasty pair of rottweilers you two are..

I knew when Danielle posted; no matter WHAT she (or anyone else) posted;-if you didn't agree with it, you would launch into your usual onslaught. And you did.

NONE of this has to do with the original topic. This is to assert your dominance, and nothing else.'You' covers both your sorry souls. You are one and the same.

Interestingly, Meggott is absent, and there you are Paull; Meggott returns and you disappear...

Neither of 'you'? could then pass up the opportunity to bully somebody else, together. How bloody pathetic.

Meg/Paul Syndrome=Clones.

You clones criticise everyone PERSONALLY if they say something you don't like.

Paul Clone: you don't even know your Bushbasher from your Bushbred! So debate is healthy is it? You listen to those who disagree with you?
What?..so you can lay into them afterward?

Meg Clone: You have quite a reputation for going for the jugular, and not letting go. Religious Right eh? So much for the tolerance and compassion of the Catholic...
You got yourself into trouble with your linking words habit didn't you?

Well done Danielle; you have done an excellent job in standing up to these two.
Don't let them intimidate you; they are a pathetic pair who cannot hold their own with reasoned discussion, so they resort to exactly the tactic I have used here.

They should understand it well.
Posted by Ginx, Saturday, 1 September 2007 6:09:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ginx and anybody else, If its too hot in the kitchen ...

If you really think that that both Meg and I haven’t copped our fair share of rough treatment then you just aren’t capable of making an independent judgement.

Forgive me if I believe that someone who has an opinion on matters which affect all of us should actually have some evidence for it. I really don’t think that is too much to ask.

Personal attacks?. Please get over yourself. You’re one of the worst offenders. As for your ‘religious right’ rubbish and the ‘Clones’ and the ‘MIAOW’ it is fairly clear you actually don’t have any ideas of your own. Someone clearly gives them to you.

I haven’t replied to Danielle’s other posts, particularly on Palestinian Arts movement because it is clear she actually has the facts to back up her point. Something you could learn from.

Its high time you realised that any idiot can have an opinion, but that’s totally different to having an informed one.

As for going off topic, well I didn’t realise that you were now arbiter of the debate. By the way, do you really think your rantings on this thread have been ON topic?

It’s fairly typical of the woolly headed soft-left to imagine conspiracies everywhere, but to suggest that Meg and I are one and the same person is completely bypassing the realm of the ridiculous and verging on the paranoid.

I must say, I really loved the ‘MEG/PAUL syndrome = clones’. ROFLMAO. Maybe next time you could draw sticks figures and we could get into the “ I know you are but what am I’ or better yet we could poke tongues and blow raspberries. You should grow up Ginx and maybe get some thicker skin because otherwise you're going to be taking offence at every little thing for the rest of your life.
Posted by Paul.L, Saturday, 1 September 2007 6:58:46 PM
Paul.L you state: “Internment was a tool used by the British gov’t against the IRA during that conflict. It involved suspected IRA members being jailed without trial”

Internment camps were in Australia during both WWI and WWII.

A few of the 22 references listed by the ALC.:

Internment camp order (no. 10) / prepared by the Staff of the Adjutant-General, and issued under the direction of the Commander-in-Chief.  Canberra : L.F. Johnston, CGP, 1943

Australia. Army. National Security (Internment camps) regulations : Internment camp order (no. 10) / prepared by the Staff of the Adjutant-General, and issued under the direction of the Commander-in-chief.  Canberra : CGP, 1943.

Trojan, Martin. Hinter Stein und Stacheldraht : Australische Schattenbilder / von Martin Trojan.  Bremen : Druck von Carl Schünemann, [192-?]

Chronik der deutschen Internierungslager in Australien. Teil 2, vom 5 Juni 1940 - 15 Dez 1940.

Original photographs of scenes in German concentration camps in Australia [1919?]
http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-an10974240  

http://librariesaustralia.nla.gov.au/

See:

Morton Clive’s study, “Interned” (Gordonvale, Qld: c2006) ISBN O975171518.
Tracing the politics and cover ups in Australian internment camps during WWII.

“Altitude” , vol 3, 2003. Re: German and Austrian Refugees in Australian Internment Camps and detention centres for asylum seekers.
Australian Public Intellectual Network.
http://www.api-network.com/main/index.php

Your state: “It doesn’t give you expert status on matters of national policy or history. It certainly doesn’t give you any moral authority”.

I don’t assume “moral authority”, but like others, am aware of the history and criminal naivety of the Australian government in 1930’s and 1940’s

Read:

“... in the 1930s and 1940s, Europeans fleeing persecution as Jews often found themselves interned in Australia, as their stories were considered 'implausible.’ Sheer ignorance about the situation in Europe by those charged with investigating the activities of enemy aliens extended to a lack of understanding about the application of the Nuremberg Laws.
Neumann, Klaus. “Fifth Columnists? German and Austrian Refugees in Australian Internment Camps” Public lecture, National Archives of Australia, Goethe Institute (Sydney) and the Centre for European Studies at the University of NSW, Sydney, 17 April 2002
http://www.goethe.de/ins/au/syd/ges/pok/enindex.htm

cont ...
Posted by Danielle, Saturday, 1 September 2007 9:57:01 PM
Hi (_?_)s it seems that you can't count the hours either...I have two posts per 24 hour period...like the rest of those on this thread, even you Ginx. ...and I have a life outside of OLO, you should get one too.

I'm curious indeed why you have suggested that Paul.L and I are one and the same...

Perhaps because he clearly is a rational thinker and can make a reasoned argument, without resorting to the gobbly-gook that floods forth when you post. P-l-e-a-s-e re-read your posts so that you are not offending in exactly the manner you accuse others of doing EVERY TIME, not just the last post either.

'In fact, Meg1, “undersirables” and subversives would more likely come on overly uncritical and loyal to their “country”. Just like you do ...'

Danielle, I really haven't met any 'undersirables', but I'm sure you'll enlighten us on that one. As for the undesirables I spoke about, are you suggesting you are an expert on them also? Plenty of undesirable friends too, huh? It is particularly spurious that you would suggest that it is an UNDESIRABLE trait to be loyal to my country, to be otherwise would be treason...are you guilty by your own admission?

I speak freely and use constructive criticism of both government and country when I consider it is necessary, I don't hurl invective and accusation in general terms at an organisation when I don't have full knowledge of the facts...as you pair consistently do at the AFP and ASIO.

What a pity I don't even know Paul.L (Phillip.L for those under the influence of something or generally confused and unaccustomed to dealing with little things like getting names and facts right).

(tbc...)
Posted by Meg1, Saturday, 1 September 2007 10:17:13 PM
(Cont...)

Regarding the heresay Danielle provided earlier and now she's gone googling and added some links...I've travelled from 1970's through Israel, Great Britain, Europe, New Guinea, Hong Kong, China and elsewhere, including extensively through Australia. Travel, like research and education can broaden the mind and teach empathy for others around you...even those you'll never meet. However, you need to be open to learn from the opportunities. I have relations and friends who were killed in World Wars or who were scarred but survived them and live with the memories, I have friends and one relation who were interned in this country while their sons fought to defend this country and their mothers and sisters were forced to run businesses, farms or manage their lives as best they could, enduring disgraceful victimisation and prejudice at the hands of fellow Australians. I don't know any of them who became terrorists or were disloyal to the country that didn't always treat them well or fairly, they recognised this was now their home...for better-or-worse, they persevered and made it their permanent HOME. I respect them for that while recognising the ordeals they endured here. Good people pay the price for the evil others perpetrate - good people paid the price for Hitler's war, here too! We don't have to like it or tolerate injustice, but we do need to get our facts straight before we accuse those making difficult judgments, often-with-little-time-to-do-so, of perceived injustices that CANNOT BE SUBSTANTIATED.

So far, I have seen no evidence from either of you to back up anything that you lunge into an attack about...all just a whirlwind of bile and invective and much-ado-about-nothing when your posts are analysed.

Goodnight Paul.L you've used up your two posts now until 11:30am tomorrow, and I'm off all day tomorrow, that'll confuse them totally now, they'll think I can read minds too... :))

Where are all those AFP and ASIO 'spooks' when you need them to take over the on line threads while we sleep...what's the country coming to?
Posted by Meg1, Saturday, 1 September 2007 10:38:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 17
  7. 18
  8. 19
  9. Page 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy