The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Religious bias and discrimination > Comments

Religious bias and discrimination : Comments

By Zelda Bailey, published 22/6/2007

It is time our State Departments of Education heard the non-religious viewpoint.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13
  13. All
I agree with CJMorgan's sentiments on this issue.

The local Primary School in my area does not cater for non-Religious families either. I don't have any deep misgivings about my children learning Christian scripture BUT I make sure that I qualify what they are taught by explaining that Bible stories are similar to the Greek mytholoy stories that I read to them at bedtime. That is, they are fun and instructive but not to be taken literally.

Mind you, if I heard that the RI teacher was scaring them with stories of hell then I would be complaining straight to the school board. The doctrine of hell would have to be the most stupid, hideous and abusive of all monotheistic doctrines.

But now that I think of it, time to visit the Principal about the availabilty of Humanist Instruction!
Posted by TR, Friday, 22 June 2007 8:36:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, this is boring. Only two RI defenders, and neither with any argument of substance to address. Where's that idiot Muehlenberg when you need him?
Posted by bushbasher, Friday, 22 June 2007 8:48:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
YVONNE

regarding your childrens experience with what I would describe as close to 'Christian animism'..why not do the hard yards and read the Gospels, Acts and Epistles yourself, and see exactly where they got it wrong?

Then, instead of buckeing shallow naive Christians here, you could instead provide a far more biblical explanation of the issue at hand.

blessings.

JohnJ My post was directed at CJ Morgan, so I understand if it seemed to drift.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Friday, 22 June 2007 11:03:44 PM
Boazy: "JohnJ My post was directed at CJ Morgan, so I understand if it seemed to drift."

Let me just say that I also fail to see the relevance of the babblings of an extremist Muslim nutter cult to a discussion of the desirability of introducing a secular humanist alternative to "Religious Instruction" in Queensland State schools.

Of course, it might make perfect sense to a member of an extremist Christian nutter cult like the "Brethren".
Posted by CJ Morgan, Friday, 22 June 2007 11:27:44 PM
The only 'religious' lesson children need to learn is known as "The Golden Rule" - or, treat others as you would wish to be treated. It is common to all the amjor faiths and is not incompatible with atheism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity

The way to learning this all important lesson is not important - just the learning of it and then acting upon it, fully.

Treat others as you would wish to be treated... and all will be well.
Posted by K£vin, Saturday, 23 June 2007 2:28:41 AM
Oliver, you put it far better than I did, or could. Thanks.

Although I must point out that God does exist, or did. He played full forward for Geelong, remember? Obviously I'm a footy fan but not Geelong. A little levity for once on a religious thread.
Posted by DavoP, Saturday, 23 June 2007 12:10:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 11
  11. 12
  12. 13